How to make Office 2008 look like the PC version?

Reaction score
Like the title says, is there a way to make the Mac version of Office look like its PC counterpart? I am a new Mac user (still use a PC laptop for work/school purposes) and I have grown to really like the menu style and whatnot of Office 2007 while I can't stand the setup for Office 2008 for Mac.

My wife had a macbook and Office 2008 with the ability to install it on more than one machine so it was free to use that version instead of getting Office 2011 so if there is a way to make it work without spending money that would be great.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Nope, Office 2008 is just lousy.

You can create custom toolbars, which might help some, but in general 2008 is just really, really lousy.

If you're going to be using Office on your Mac, the upgrade to 2011 is well worth the cost in my opinion.

OP
S
Reaction score
Bah, that is what I figured. I will probably just use my PC for office uses or install one of those programs to run windows at the same time as osx and install my copy of office on there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like the title says, is there a way to make the Mac version of Office look like its PC counterpart? I am a new Mac user (still use a PC laptop for work/school purposes) and I have grown to really like the menu style and whatnot of Office 2007 while I can't stand the setup for Office 2008 for Mac.

I don't know if I would agree with the opinion that Office 2008 is "lousy", however, since there is no way to add a ribbon to it, it's never going to be able to look like Office 2007 or 2010 for Windows, nor 2011 for the Mac.

That said, the advantage of using the Office 2008 Home and Student version is that it can be installed on 6 machines. I have the Office 2011 version for Home and Student (family pack) and it can only be installed on 2 machines.

Your choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I don't know if I would agree with the opinion that Office 2008 is "lousy"
What I meant was, it's slow, has an ugly, cluttered interface, had no VBA support. And then there's Entourage.... I got it for free, and can't imagine having to have paid for it.

That said, the advantage of using the Office 2008 Home and Student version is that it can be installed on 6 machines. I have the Office 2011 version for Home and Student (family pack) and it can only be installed on 2 machines.

Your choice.
The 2011 Home and Student version includes 3 licenses
Amazon.com: Office Mac Home and Student 2011 - Family Pack (3 Licenses): Mac OS X: Software that's the same as the 2008 Home and Student

The 2011 Home and Business version includes only two.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mea Culpa. I just looked at my license and you're correct, it does include three installs. I must admit I love having VBA back so I can use macros again in Word and PowerPoint.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.