Oops...20GB file buildup

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a (semi-new) Mac developer. I've been working on a component to my app that - in order to function properly - needs to download a fairly large file from the internet. I thought this file would be stored in memory (and would be removed once the app no longer needed it), but it's actually stored in the /var folder. I've been running and debugging this component for numerous days, which means roughly 20GB of unnecessary files have built up. Of course, I quickly changed my code to remove this file once it's no longer needed, but now I have a big, single 20GB file on my system that I must get rid of. I have a 64GB MBA, so I need all the space I can get. I know I shouldn't ever mess with the /var folder. Any ideas as to how I can hunt these files down and remove them? I have a whole bunch of custom stuff on my system, so I really don't want to do a clean install of Lion. Thanks ahead of time!

C

chas_m

Since you know the exact file you're looking to get rid of, this is an occasion where you can use a third-party tool to remove it pretty easily.

I like Grand Perspective (free), but there are similar tools like Disk Inventory X (also free). Both do the same thing -- provide you with a visual representation of the files on your HD. Spotting the 20GB rogue files should be very simple, and you can delete them (and only them!) from within the program. Restart and all good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There is also Daisy Disk that does a excellent job with a good visual of your HD

Someone might no of a Terminal command as well to find that file and trash it from within.
Cheers

C

chas_m

There's nothing in Terminal that gives you the reassurance of a VISUAL map of the files.

I've had WAY too many stories of people going into folders like /var and using "rm" higgeldy-piggeldy with DISASTROUS results.

Plus, I'm lazy. Color-coded visual file map for free with easy, safe deleting FTW IMO. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There's nothing in Terminal that gives you the reassurance of a VISUAL map of the files.

I've had WAY too many stories of people going into folders like /var and using "rm" higgeldy-piggeldy with DISASTROUS results.

Plus, I'm lazy. Color-coded visual file map for free with easy, safe deleting FTW IMO. :)

I agree completely, but there are some that swear by the Terminal command. For a developer it could be for them.

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
Well...Yes. I actually used daisy disk to spot this file. Finding it isn't the problem. I'm not sure if the system (and other apps) have thrown important files in that huge file. Because my disk is only 64GB, I watch my files closely. I know this file was 5GB before I debugged this part of my app. I only want to delete the files I downloaded. I plan on upgrading to a MacBook Pro this summer when they're released, and I don't wan't this going on to my new system (I plan on transferring my files and not "starting fresh"). Thats my problem. Any ideas? I guess I can clone my drive, delete it, and if something fails, just restore back...

This is what it looks like in DaisyDisk. It's the entire orange section.
Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 11.31.28 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.