Mac mini ram upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display
Im thinking about upgrading my mac mini's memory, right now the the specs are:

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I was trying to figure out what is the max memory I can put in. I know that upgrading it to 2GB wouldn't be to noticeable, and of course I would like to notice the difference, but at the same time I don't want to be putting in to much memory.

OP
bphoenix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display
ok thanks i didn't know that, cause i saw someone with 3gb in there mini so they said, but they was a 2gb stick and a 1gb stick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Apple only ever put in the specs what they want to. You CAN fit 2Gb and 1Gb making 3Gb in total into an intel Mac mini or the macbook (before the latest version). Just like you can put 8x4Gb into a Mac pro !!

This bit is untested - Basically the Dimms do not need to be the same so you should also be able to fit a 2Gb in place of one of the 0.5Gb giving 2.5Gb in total.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (white), 2 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 120 GB, Superdrive, 10.4.10.
The mini comes with 2 512MB DIMMs in order to upgrade you would have to go to 2 1GB DIMMs. I put a set of these in my Mom's mini and they work great.

was changing the RAM on the Mini any different than changing the RAM on any other Mac or was it pretty similar? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
was changing the RAM on the Mini any different than changing the RAM on any other Mac or was it pretty similar? thanks.

Ram on the Mac mini does not need to be in matched pairs but virtually all the upgrades you find will be.

Changing the RAM on the Mac Mini is very easy, just like any other desktop BUT there is one slightly more difficult step - opening the case.

There are a number of picture by picture explanations showing you how to accomplish this but basically you need two VERY slim palette knives/putty knives which you slide into the gap on the bottom and work your way round.

Once inside you then have to remove the drive mechanisms to get to the SODIMM slots. Do this methodically and with reference to a picture by picture manual and you will be fine.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/01/macminiinside/index.php

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
errr. that sounds kinda complicated. is there a good place that you can pay someone to install the memory in it for you? for a fee of course. I swear I've seen ads for places like that before but I can't find them now that I'm looking for them. Is there a certain place that anyone could recommend?

The reason i'm asking is because I think I'm going to do a trade-in with a place and, as far as i know, they don't do upgrades. I'd rather someone who knows what they're doing install the memory. do the Apple Stores do that or would I have to look for someone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump.

are there any sites that install RAM for you on your Macs? I found out that the place I'm going to trade in honors Apple's prices of $150 to upgrade to 2 GBs of RAM and I'd really rather not pay that much, or dissect my computer myself. Does anyone know of any sites like that? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.