Does Mac have a Registry like Windows?

Reaction score
I installed Adobe CS3 on my mac (OS 10.6) couple months ago.

I removed it, however, every time I try to reinstall I am not allowed to put in a new serial because it seems my mac is using the ole one that I took off.

Is there a way to erase all of the information from an install? I want my system to be like Adobe CS3 was never installed so I can put on a clean install.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcom to Mac-Forums!

Question is - how did you remove the old Adobe CS3, and did it have with it an uninstaller?

If you simply trashed CS3, then you may need to use a third-party app remover like AppCleaner, AppZapper or CleanApp. Any one of those will search out ALL files associated with CS3, which you can then trash and delete.

Check too your Login Items in SysPrefs > Accounts to see if any of the old CS3-related elements are there. If so, remove it/them.

OP
Bahamas
Reaction score
Thanks hughvane for the welcome.

I used the uninstaller.
I checked SysPrefs > Accounts, nothing in login.

There must be a place where info is stored in the system.
For example. I took off another program, when I went to install it again, it automatically picked up the serial.

I want to remove all trace of CS3 being on my MAC.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is, thankfully, no registry in Mac like Windows..

If you uninstalled the application using the Adobe uninstaller, then it should've done the right thing and remove the serial info. But it's most likely sitting in a .plist or some other Adobe encoded file somewhere..a quick call to Adobe might help you out..

Regards

OP
Bahamas
Reaction score
There is, thankfully, no registry in Mac like Windows..

If you uninstalled the application using the Adobe uninstaller, then it should've done the right thing and remove the serial info. But it's most likely sitting in a .plist or some other Adobe encoded file somewhere..a quick call to Adobe might help you out..

Regards

Thanks for the reply.
However, is the a free way to get help with this rather than calling them?

Anyone know why my system is still recognizing info from a previous install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
One area u could look - open Keychain in Applications > Utilities and have a hunt thru the list there to see if anything relates to CS3. Also might be worth cleaning out cookies in your browser in case that is the trigger for adobe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.