401 Problem when trying to connect to router

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been trying to get the new Macbook Pro 15" wireless. Well, I've been trying to connect it with the router I had before the old Macbook went. I'm using the existing router. I follow all the steps to it. So, it's trying to connect and it says, "401 Problem" or something along those lines. Then it gives me instructions of what I ALREADY did. So, if any PC or Mac people can answer this question; it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
-Jake

Reaction score
i believe i am having the same problem with a 15"mac pro. i get the error 401 message when i try to run the install wizard.

i have the disc for the router but when i click any of the icons i get an open box of gibberish and a message at the top stating this program can not be run in dos mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Okay, so I've been trying to get the new Macbook Pro 15" wireless. Well, I've been trying to connect it with the router I had before the old Macbook went. I'm using the existing router. I follow all the steps to it. So, it's trying to connect and it says, "401 Problem" or something along those lines. Then it gives me instructions of what I ALREADY did. So, if any PC or Mac people can answer this question; it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
-Jake

What about with a ethernet cable does it work then?

Reaction score
no! i have internet from the wall thru ethernet cable to the mac.
no internet from the wall - ethernet cable - wireless router - ethernet cable - mac.
i can open the wireless router settings thru ethernet cable but i am computer stupid and can not program it so it works. so far no help form this site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
no! i have internet from the wall thru ethernet cable to the mac.
no internet from the wall - ethernet cable - wireless router - ethernet cable - mac.
i can open the wireless router settings thru ethernet cable but i am computer stupid and can not program it so it works. so far no help form this site.

That does not make sense - perhaps the best deal is to phone help desk of outfit that makes your router and work thru the settings with them.

OP
J
Reaction score
I hate bumping old threads.

So, I've only tried connecting the darn thing 5 times. It has been telling me that when I try to connect my ethernet cable is not connected which it is. They give you all these darn directions on the Cd, but I tried them all they don't work. My older Macbook (Black 13") connected within 5-10 minutes, very easy process. This little guy just doesn't want to connect for me. :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand and model is your router? Are you using Encryption with a key for your wireless? If so is it WEP? WPA? WPA2?

T

todd51

The reason why your install CD probably isn't working is because I'm sure it has an executable file on it (meant for Windows) which OSX can't open. But this still should not prevent your MBP from connecting to it. Especially through the ethernet cable.

Some more information such as what dtravis7 asked would be very helpful for us to try and solve this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.