For The Love Of All That Is Good and Holy, Help Me Fix Finder

Reaction score
Alright guys, I finally broke down. After trying to just deal for weeks, I can't take it any more. When I open Finder, it automatically opens in column view at about 3X the width that I prefer. I'm trying to figure out how to set the default, and I'm having zero luck.

In all posts I've seen, everyone says:
1) Open up Finder and resize to preferred width
2) Go to View > Show View Options
3) Click the "Set Default View Options" Button

Sounds easy enough, but I don't have the "Set Default View Option" button. (Image of the window attached) Which makes me want to punch my computer.

I have OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5.

Please help!

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 9.50.48 AM.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

They must be referring to an older version of macOS, I don't have that on Sierra either..

Anyway, to set the size of Finder, open it, resize and then close by hitting the red (X). Now click on the Finder icon on the Dock and it should open up to the size you previously resized it to. This worked for me on my Sierra system..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
They must be referring to an older version of macOS, I don't have that on Sierra either..

Like what I get with Mavericks 10.9.5 perhaps:

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 11.09.05 AM.png

BTW and FWIW, even with the options I want set in such a window, many a time a window will open up differently to what I would expect, and I've found it to be quite inconsistent for many OS X versions. If I recall correctly, back in the old Mac Systems, some sort of file tag (I can't recall the name) controlled which displays and worked much better that whatever they use now.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After trying to just deal for weeks, I can't take it any more

I just came across this older tidbit that just might help fix things for some of us, and sure worth a try IMHO:

Finder windows on OS X are a bit finicky. One time you’ll open it and it’ll be tiny, another time it’ll be huge. Over on MacWorld, they take a look at why this happens and came up with a way to set a more default behavior.

The Finder window behavior can get a bit frustrating if you like your windows to open up at the same size every time. So, MacWorld tried to come up with a way to get consistent behavior. It’s a bit weird, but it seems to work:

Open a Finder window and set it the size you want
Close all windows (Command+Options+W and click the close button)
Hold down the Option key, right-click the Finder icon, and select relaunch
Now, you should be good to go from here on out with a persistent Finder window size.

How to get a new Finder window the size you want | MacWorld
https://lifehacker.com/set-a-default-finder-window-size-with-a-relaunch-1722493443

It just might work — I hope. Thanks for the nudge to look for a solution. :D

EDIT:
And another source and suggestion:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/175883/how-to-set-default-finder-window-size
and a whole bunch more, just in case it's needed:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=VSi4WcCbAcXM8gfwtbHADg

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Image in OP looks like it comes from a right click in the Finder Window.
Image in Post #3 looks like it comes from the Menu "command" Show View Options.
These are not the same, as can be seen. Behavior is different also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Image in OP looks like it comes from a right click in the Finder Window.
Image in Post #3 looks like it comes from the Menu "command" Show View Options.
These are not the same, as can be seen. Behavior is different also.

I have no idea about the OP's method, and I never even had or tried Yosemite, but you're quite correct about my image in #3, but maybe that's the point??

Maybe their Yosemite IS different as to window view prefs. Maybe it doesn't provide a view option, but I can't imagine the developers leaving out that option.

But even macOS Sierra is able to show what the OP posted and no "Use as Default" option as some other view options show, as shown here:

Select Column view options: Change the text size, and whether to display icons and a preview column. All columns display your selected options.
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25361?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_QA

What they probably need is one of the other options as shown there, and have the "Use as Default" option box.

It seems they have the Finder window view set to "View as columns" and the "default" option is not available using it, and also *** they got the screenshot I would guess.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping someone else with Sierra would take a look at this. I don't post here from my Mac that often, usually I'm at work on lunch break, like now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping someone else with Sierra would take a look at this.

Don't you trust the mothership and the link of the images using Sierra I sent??

Have a look:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25361?locale=en_CA

Especially the "Column view". No default option box using it.

Anyway, maybe someone else will chime in and provide some satisfaction… :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

M

MacInWin

Never mind, I misunderstood the issue. It's the COLUMNS view that's under discussion. Never use it, no idea how it defaults.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never mind, I misunderstood the issue. It's the COLUMNS view that's under discussion. Never use it, no idea how it defaults.

Not to worry Jake, but I wonder what happened to the OP…?????

PS: Even trying some various different methods of viewing the same windows with various trials, they often opened in different views.

Not like back in old System 8 and 9 days, when it tended to be quite consistent as I recall, but not OS X as this old post is typical, but maybe the suggestion of using Stay — Keeps windows in their place would work for some.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-do-i-make-a-window-always-open-in-a-specific-size.1416153/

Anyway, lots of hits on articles and suggestions here:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=PPG6WYfvNuTe8Aepy4fgDQ

BTW: In Mavericks, if I just use the Finder by clicking on my Desktop and hit command + J (Show View options) I get an image like the OP posted and no "set Default option box. And my Desktop view sure in H*ll isn't set to any column view thank you apple!!! Gheese, such consistancy … choke…

EDIT:
My brain fart finished and I finally recalled the old System 9 method for saving window size and positions etc. that actually worked, they were the usually invisible .DS_Store files.
But they are still used and visible somehow with Mac OS X versions so I'm told.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

yes .DS_Store is still there, at least it was the last time I looked. However, on the issue, I suspect the reason one cannot define the column size for the column display is that unlike the others, the columns are more fixed-width, and the window is sized for three columns. When you add a fourth, the leftmost one disappears. That is the default action and apparently is not changeable. You can scroll back to the left to see it if you need it. I guess what I am saying is that the columns display is different from the rest in operation and settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't you trust the mothership and the link of the images using Sierra I sent??

Have a look:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25361?locale=en_CA

Especially the "Column view". No default option box using it.

Anyway, maybe someone else will chime in and provide some satisfaction… :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

I rarely click on links in posts at work - not enough time to chase rabbits. At home now, and no, I do not get the Use as Defaults button when in Column View. So it's not an issue of Show View Options from a right click or from the Menu. But, the difference is that changes made using the right click access are temporary, for that session only. From the Menu, it will "stick" until you change it via the Menu command again. At least, that's how it always worked before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this:
Hold down the Option key while resizing columns
Click the red button to close the window
Reopen the window and it should keep the sizes you set

This is for an individual window, obviously. Don't know if changes can be applied as a default for all windows in column view somehow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this:

I'm wondering if we've lost the OP or if they've got things sorted out and working or have just moved on… ????

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.