Help a new switcher! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.6 Ghz, Ipod 1G, 3G, Nano 3G, Touch 1G, Apple TV 160GB
Hey all - I am a former Windows guy now planning on buying my first Mac. I am sure that I want one of the new Intel processors (probably the Penryn) and I do want a desktop. So, that probably puts me in an aluminum iMac. Ok - so which one do I get? Right now I am coveting the 24" refurb at the Apple site with AppleCare. Your thoughts or suggestions for a newbie? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Hey all - I am a former Windows guy now planning on buying my first Mac. I am sure that I want one of the new Intel processors (probably the Penryn) and I do want a desktop. So, that probably puts me in an aluminum iMac. Ok - so which one do I get? Right now I am coveting the 24" refurb at the Apple site with AppleCare. Your thoughts or suggestions for a newbie? Thanks!

It could just be me, but if you haven't seen these in person, the 20" to the 24" is a HUGE difference. Sure, its only 4", but it looks like a foot.

With that said, I'd go 24" if you can afford it. The 20" apparently have some screen problems (doesn't look as good). I haven't noticed any difference, and the 20" is still absolutely stunning, but these problems have come up for others.

I like how you've included Applecare. A definite must.

Go for it. You'll love the switch... I'm switching by my birthday =]

OP
NYTechGuy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:)

Thanks Andy - I am off to the Apple store today. I may not come back empty handed! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Thanks Andy - I am off to the Apple store today. I may not come back empty handed! :)

Sounds like fun... its always awesome in an Apple Store ;)

Keep us updated!

OP
NYTechGuy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am now a Mac user! :)

Ok - I broke down and bought one! I picked up the iMac 20" 2.6 Ghz with a 320 GB HD and 2G ram. I'm typing my response now on it! - wow I like it a lot! Applecare also was a good purchase - the store was so packed you couldn't move :) My salesperson was very helpful as well. Thanks all!

Reaction score
Glad you made the switch I did about 2 years ago and it's the best thing i ever did got my sister to switch she is also glad aswell
I'm now playing with ubuntu on my laptop i just wiped out windows when i installed ubuntu i selected use entire disc by by window$

I like ubuntu but i am not get rid of my mac no way

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.