Buy Mac now or wait til new year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
OK so im set to buy a Mac Pro but i was wondering if its best to wait til after xmas or even the new year for discounts? Ideally i would like it ASAP as i have alot of work to be done for Uni by Jan14th but if its worth me waiting til after xmas or new years for big money savings then i will do. is there anything new coming out with the Mac pro maybe quad core? that will push the price of the mac pro down?

thanks

joe

M

MacHeadCase

I really can't say what's in store for Macworld. Haven't paid much attention to the rumours, was too busy with school and all but it's always better to wait till after the keynote presentation.

His Steveness sometimes comes out with stuff you really want. Like last year, me and a friend bought our 20" iMacs 2.1GHz at the same time, just before Xmas. My order was slightly delayed and I got it after New Year's.

A week or 10 days later (can't remember which it was now) His Steveness introduced the Intel-based iMacs.

I had heard the rumours that a first gen of Intel iMacs might be introduced but I was dead set on a PowerPC iMac, no matter the hype. From my experience, first gen products have many problems which are usually fixed by the second or third generation of the product. Besides I was sure the adaptation to a brand new chip architecture would bring in lots of growing pains so, I was ok with my choice.

But it was hard at times! Each time I would think that my computer was brand new but was already out-of-date, I remembered the reasons why I wanted to stick with PowerPC for the time being.

But lemme tell ya, my friend took it on the chin pretty hard!
icon10.gif

Now since the Mac Pro and all the rest of the Mac line have had at least one generation on the Intel chip, a lot of problems must have been ironed out and I would not hesitate.

So, if you want the latest and greatest, wait till right after the Macworld keynote presentation. Not sure if there would be any sales though. Maybe Mac stores, here and there, not wanting to keep old inventory? But then this defeats the purpose of getting the latest and greatest.
icon12.gif

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Macworld keynote presentation? when is this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's the first day of the Macworld Expo in San Francisco. Jan 8 2007 I believe.

Reaction score
From my experience, first gen products have many problems which are usually fixed by the second or third generation of the product.
Yep. this is why I'm not overly excited about replacing my G5 and my PowerBook just yet. First Adobe has to release CS3 and then as you say we'll see how the first wave of Intel machines shakes out. I'd rather get in on round two. Plus I'd like Adobe to have about 2-3 updates before jumpin' in with CS3...anyway...I'm pretty happy with what I have but you know how it goes...shopping at the Apple Store is one of life's great pleasures.

dance.gif

M

MacHeadCase

It's the first day of the Macworld Expo in San Francisco. Jan 8 2007 I believe.

Darn I was hoping to catch it on one of those live coverage webpages like MacDailyNews or something.

School starts on January 8th after the Holiday break.

Whaaaaaaah...

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i cant really wait that long so i might have to go ahead on boxing day and purchase me a new mac. thanks for your help im hoping they are as good as people say they are!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
Darn I was hoping to catch it on one of those live coverage webpages like MacDailyNews or something.

School starts on January 8th after the Holiday break.

Whaaaaaaah...

SAME FOR ME AHHH! tommorow is my last day. and i have one more exam. but at least its a halfday. i cant believe we go back on the day of the macworld keynote. im ******!

Reaction score
Oooh, joe.morgan - can't you really wait just a few days? If Mr Steve introduces some juicy new software or hardware bump that's "shipping today", you'll be really annoyed if you've just bought...

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oooh, joe.morgan - can't you really wait just a few days? If Mr Steve introduces some juicy new software or hardware bump that's "shipping today", you'll be really annoyed if you've just bought...

this is true but the conference isn't til the 8th which means i wouldn't get the mac til after the 11th and my deadlines for all my work are on the 11th or 13th so im in a bit of a pickle

Reaction score
Hang on - Mac Pro? This is the top-of-the-range job, isn't it. Sorry - I was thinking Macbook Pro. In that case, I'd say buy it now - I don't think there's likely to be much of a bump on the Mac Pro given its recent introduction.

But don't quote me on that..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I've bought one of the first generation Intel Macs (Macbook Pro) and other than slow CS2 (which is not Apple's fault) I've had no problems - in fact, it's by far the greatest notebook I've ever used. What are these first generation growing pains that you're talking about?

Regarding the Macworld event, what happens exactly? Is this where Apple tell us the direction they'll be taking over the next year? Will we get to see these "secret" Leopard features?

M

MacHeadCase

I've bought one of the first generation Intel Macs (Macbook Pro) and other than slow CS2 (which is not Apple's fault) I've had no problems - in fact, it's by far the greatest notebook I've ever used. What are these first generation growing pains that you're talking about?

Regarding the Macworld event, what happens exactly? Is this where Apple tell us the direction they'll be taking over the next year? Will we get to see these "secret" Leopard features?

Generally speaking, like I said, a lot of first generation products have problems. And I'm not just talking about Apple here, btw.

I'll give you an example: the first generation of iMac G5's (and a batch from the second generation as well) had various problems, but most had to do with the power supply: so Apple issued a massive recall/repair program. Same thing for early models of the Power Mac G5.

Now this was public knowledge but to become public knowledge the problem has to be widespread. Remember the first generation of iPods? They had big problems with their batteries and Apple was sued and settled out of court. Etc.

Maybe you do have a great first gen MacBook Pro and I'm glad you didn't experience any problems. I'm not saying the majority of buyers inherit defective products.

But then again, a friend of mine bought one and had all sorts of trouble and it was shipped in for repairs twice. Now the MBP has a whining sound but he says he'll try get used to it, he's tired of sending it in. Besides he needs it for work, he's a freelance programer and he can't afford to lose his work tool for too long.

About Macworld, this is yes kinda like a kickoff for the year and it usually starts with a bang, with new or revised products. That's why a week or so before the keynote presentation, Apple rumours go absolutely wild!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Ah right, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I thought you meant there was something inherently wrong with Macbook Pros. Well, so far so good with this one! Hopefully, it will stay that way!

Great, can't wait for Macworld then! I switched less than two months ago so this is all new to me.

M

MacHeadCase

Ahh wait till you see Mac users in a frenzy!...
icon12.gif

I used to google for a website that would carry live coverage* and follow from there. I felt the excitement of new announcements. Steve Jobs really knows how to drum up drama in his presentations.

If you want to see the video of the keynote speech, Apple usually releases it about five or six hours after the show. Then you can see what this is all about. Check in Mac-Forums, if no other member posts a link when the keynote video is up for streaming on Apple's site, I'll post it myself.

* There usually is an embargo/delay on the publication of the video coverage now. I don't know if His Steveness has given directives to withhold the video for editing mistakes or something but we can't see it live like we used to, three or four years ago. It could also have to do with the number of people trying to catch the video at the same time and it brought the Apple servers down to their knees too many times?...

By live coverage I mean some Mac websites will send reporters to the keynote presentation and these reporters type in what is going on as the show goes on and they send in their text to the websites. The pages are refreshed automatically with the text coming in every 30 seconds or so.

Reaction score
I know that apple has a 10 day return policy...etc..

If I buy my imac on lets say 10 days before the keynote speach, would apple install any new software/upgrades etc.. on the machine I order? OR would I get what I ordered, and then call apple to request any upgrades that may have happened?

Reaction score
You'd probably have to return the machine you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
If it was ordered during the whole thing, it's a coin toss. Regardless if it's within a few weeks (I'm not sure of the cutoff) you can get it replaced :)

Reaction score
I guess I might as well just wait. I can't see a hardware upgrade to the imac, just maybe iLife 07.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.