Typical IP address changed to DHCP numbers after changing to TWC

Reaction score
I was on verizon. My connections to all my devices including my ATV2 were typical ISP numbers like 192.168.x.xx. Since I added the TWC, I am now using a Motorola SB6141 hi speed, excellent modem, with my Apple Airport Extreme router. When I was first hooked up, I could only use one wireless device at a time. Then I was told how to restart the modem and cable and let them set everything automatically. Now, all devices can work simultaneously. I have not had to Cyberduck or ssh into my ATV2 for a long while. When I tried today…no go. No communication between devices. All older ISP type numbers are now DHCP type numbers 10.0.x.x.x My settings for the Extreme are no longer off(Bridge mode) but DHCP and NAT which were the defaults to make all the devices work. Any suggestions? I am wanting to do some things with XMBC, but I need ssh or cyberduck to make that happen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You've misunderstood something about IP addresses.
10.0.xx.xx and 192.168.xx.xx are local (private) network Reserved IP addresses. For use by routers to share a single Wide area network (world-reachable) IP address. Nothing to do with the ISP.
Your Airport Extreme is currently set to use the 10.0.xx.xx local network range. You can change that using Airport Utility.
Easiest thing to do is find out what new IP address your XBMC (and others) is now using, and save a new connection in cyberduck, to connect to the new IP address.

OP
P
Reaction score
ISP etc

My XBMC is not a device. I use the software from XBMCHUB for my IMac and Apple TV. The ISP numbers on my AppleEXtreme and ATV2 are matched with the 10.x.x.x configuration. Here is how I have tried to reset my cyberduck.
cyberduck.jpg
It also has not worked using the Apple-localtv setting for the server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
My XBMC is not a device.

Sorry about that - I should have read up and been thinking...

As far as I know, "DHCP 10.x.x.x:22" isn't a valid IP address for sftp.
Try it with just the IP address and port number. (10.x.x.x:22)

By the Way - is the root account required to access XBMC? That isn't a good practice. If you can change it back to using your own account, do it.

Can you explain a little more what you are doing? Are you transferring some media files via CyberDuck-sftp? From where to where?

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, root is required to ssh or cyberduck into the Apple TV. I was wanting to manual add a file to the XBMC and adjust some files. Transferring the file from my iMac, downloaded from XBMCHUB or XBMC to the ATV where XBMC for ATV2 is installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I'm posting just to give you more visibility.
I don't have an ATV2, so I don't think I can help...
Good luck.

Reaction score
Assuming you're running XMBC on your jailbroken ATV2 and logging into it with Cyberduck, you need to know what the new ip number from the Airport Express is.
Check your Airport using Airport Utility and see what devices are connected to it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, XBMC on jailbroken ATV2 running 5.3 ATV2 is shown. IP Address for Extreme is 74.xx.xx.xxx But Ip given on the ATV2 is the 10.x.x.x.x

Reaction score
Then like gsahli said, try it without the "DHCP" in the address. That's not necessary and wont work.
Just curious, and pardon my ignorance (I don't have n ATV), why access it with sftp?
You cant connect with Finder? It doesn't show up as a drive/device in the sidebar?
And why secure ftp on a local network? It is local right?

OP
P
Reaction score
Tried just the 10.x.x.x.x Got the message premature connection close.
SFTP is the preferred method for getting access to the ATV2 files I want to add a xbmc add on that cannot be done through the xbmc add on program that XBMCHUB provides. It is a repository from XBMC and first has to be downloaded, then added and then installed from within xbmc on the ATV2.
Thanks for everything so far.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Cradom. I have done it many times in the past. The whole problem seems to be losing the capability to Cyberduck or ssh since I changed to TWC from Verizon as I mentioned in the first post.
There used to be a problem with Nito and the ssh program to a newer version, and it is a very complicated prov=cess to change it to san older version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
IP Address for Extreme is 74.xx.xx.xxx But Ip given on the ATV2 is the 10.x.x.x.x

That 74.xx IP address is your "external" world-readable IP address. Your Extreme also has a local 10.x.x.x address, that all local network devices talk to. Confusing these may be a big part of your issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.