screen in Windows (via bootcamp) is totally black

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP
I am a bit confused, Bootcamp worked fine for weeks but now 48 hours before I am to use a windows application (reflex flight simulator) on my 13" MBP before a crowd of guests the screen in bootcamp is totally black.

Using Fusion it is fine, in XP safe mode it it ok but when I log into Xp it is totally black. I have had a look at the internet but there is no help there so over to you.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
I am a bit confused, Bootcamp worked fine for weeks but now 48 hours before I am to use a windows application (reflex flight simulator) on my 13" MBP before a crowd of guests the screen in bootcamp is totally black.

Using Fusion it is fine, in XP safe mode it it ok but when I log into Xp it is totally black. I have had a look at the internet but there is no help there so over to you.

TIA

If you're able to boot in safe mode try uninstalling the program, and then rebooting normally. If that doesn't work, run chkdsk.exe in command prompt of safe mode and see if windows can repair itself. Unfortunately, if this doesn't work then you will most likely need to reinstall the operating system. If that is the case i would personally reformat your bootcamp partition and then reinstall xp/vista/ what-have-you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Using Fusion it is fine, in XP safe mode it it ok but when I log into Xp it is totally black. I have had a look at the internet but there is no help there so over to you.TIA

If Windows will boot OK in safe mode, but the screen is black in normal mode, that's an indication of a graphics driver problem or improper screen resolution. Windows may be driving your monitor at an incorrect resolution....

From safe mode: Open the display properties and check to see what screen resolution it's using. Make sure the resolution and refresh is within limits for your machine. Also make sure you have the latest Windows graphics driver for your GPU.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP
Thanks for your suggestions folks, I am quite sure that it is a driver issue as when I use Fusion and its own SVGAII driver it works fine so I am guessing that the issue lies with the Bootcamp Geforce 9400 driver. I was really hoping that someone had experienced this problem and had a really easy solution.

Cheers all

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you gone to the nVidia site and downloaded the latest drivers for the GeForce 9400? And don't forget, you'll need to install them while in safe mode.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP
Thanks chscag, I deleted the driver in safe-mode and then reinstalled the one from the Snow Leopard disc and all is working well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.