Old IPod new computer

Reaction score
Hi All:

I have an older (5 yrs or so) iPod classic and was wondering if I'll still be able to use it (sync and such) when I upgrade my computer later this summer. Any idea if the new itunes will work?

Reaction score
I have a similar issue.
I have videos on my ipod that are not in my library.
1. When I sync the ipod will I loose the video?
2. Is there any what to transfer the videos back to the laptop?

Reaction score
Both of your Ipods should work fine. I know it seems like Apple is leaving the original ipod brand behind, but the classic is still the most recent release and still supported by itunes! Shouldn't matter what computer you upgrade to.

You shouldn't lose anything when you sync the ipod, but if you want to transfer videos off of the ipod, you may want to try to select the option to manage your ipod as a hard drive. Then you can probably copy it over. If that doesn't work for some reason, a third-party app, such as YamiPod and Floola. They both can also be run directly from your iPod in disk mode so you don't have to install any software on the computer your using.

Purchased videos, however, can be transferred by selecting "Transfer Purchases" on the ipod.

A more direct approach requires you to go into the ipod directly. I've only done this on windows before, and I found the videos I wanted in the \iPod_Control\Music.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
That will wipe all your files.
Before you do anything else disable automatic sync on itunes.
When you take a closer look at the warnings you'll find that syncing your ipod to a new machines will wipe all filesand replace them with new. ou can read all the argument about this 'anti piracy feature online.
There some software called "iLinkPod"
Google it. I'm going to try it. No I don't know if it works. Just that syncing your ipod will delete your existing files. I haven't found a good work around.

Reaction score
"Syncing" isn't really syncing. It wipes the old files off your ipod and replaces them with what's on your laptop.
I did try iLink. (Open source software)
It works but it was slow and a bit painful.
I would avoid the entire process if possible.
I my case a "seamless' upgrade wiped out my library.
Probably the best solution is to backup your itunes library on an extra hard drive
then import that library into your new machines.
I should have made more backups.

Reaction score
PS; the good news is that "Old" ipods seems to work just fine on new machines.
iTunes is itunes. You can even use a mac ipod on a windows machine (Yuck tooie).
You have to reformat your ipod but it is possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
You can use expod on the mac to get the things that you want to get off of the iPod. I have no issues using my old photo from 2005 on my MacBook pro with iTunes 10.3.

C

chas_m

I've just been using Pod to Mac ($20) today to copy some old songs that are no longer on anything but my 3rd-gen original iPod. Works great, also transfers photos, playlists, ratings and so forth.

(I didn't have any photos on the old iPod but I wanted to mention that it can do that)

Reaction score
I have a similar issue.
I have videos on my ipod that are not in my library.
1. When I sync the ipod will I loose the video?
2. Is there any what to transfer the videos back to the laptop?

1:yes you will unless you do a backup first
2:yes use a flashdrive

Reaction score
I appreciate the help.I eventually got it all off my old ipod and saved.
next- I took my old ipod it to get a new battery.
They replaced the battery by
1. Asking me if I had my files back up.
2. Taking my old ipod and handing me a new ipod.
Jeez. I love these guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.