Dock gone / Can't log out / No Dashboard

Reaction score
I have no idea what is happening, no problems and suddenly lots of things crashing? I'm using a MacBook with Leopard.

My dock stopped showing up earlier today, In Activity Monitor my Dock App is using 99 CPU? (if that means anything)

when I try to change the preferences of the dock it takes a while to respond but lets me change it just nothing happens / appears. Dashboard doesn't work or spaces and I can't minimize any window.

I found previous advice to open 'Terminal' and type killall Dock and that does nothing at all.

I use candybar to customize my dock sometimes and it disappeared before but restoring the dock in there made it come back. this isn't working this time. <- don't know if candybar is the source of my problem.

Trying to log out / Shut Down / Restart all result in nothing, it appears to be working then am I left to look at a blank desktop forever.

Tried booting into Safe Mode and it got stuck on the first screen with the Apple Logo and the working grey ring animating but not advancing after 5 minutes.

Every time i quit Dock in Activity monitor it jumps straight back to 90+ CPU usage after going down to nothing.

please help me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Uninstall CandyBar (use the uninstall instructions) first. Then follow the directions for killing the Dock from terminal, reboot and let's see if your Dock and Dashboard return to normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
S
Reaction score
Uninstall CandyBar (use the uninstall instructions) first. Then follow the directions for killing the Dock from terminal, reboot and let's see if your Dock and Dashboard return to normal.

there are no uninstall instructions (even checked their website and help section) should I just move to trash and empty?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
there are no uninstall instructions (even checked their website and help section) should I just move to trash and empty?

Yes, go ahead and drag it to the trash. Then do a Spotlight search for any other files that it may have created - like a plist file. If you bought CandyBar make sure you have the original download DMG or ZIP file so that it can be installed again. And don't lose your SN.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, go ahead and drag it to the trash. Then do a Spotlight search for any other files that it may have created - like a plist file. If you bought CandyBar make sure you have the original download DMG or ZIP file so that it can be installed again. And don't lose your SN.

deleted plist and application and application support folder. no change to any of the situations. still can't use my dock even though its apparently running, killall Dock does nothing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's probably time to reinstall OS X. Do you have your original install media and have you made backups?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Didn't see it mentioned above, have you moved the dock plist and db file?

OP
S
Reaction score
Everyone thanks for trying to help but I just figured it out
after getting way more technical then i needed to I reinstalled candybar
and replaced my mail icon with something different, this immediatly brought back my dock and everything is working fine. i think when i 'restored icons' in candybar it had restored it to one of my custom icons which i had moved from its original location so it was freaking out.

so candybar, might not be worth it lol.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why I and others suggested uninstalling CandyBar. You're not the only one who has run into problems using it. It worked fine in Leopard, but does not seem to work as well with Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Same Here

My computer crashed. When I rebooted, my background is blue, and my dock is missing. I cannot change my background or screensaver, I cannot use Expose or Spaces, and I cannot minimize windows. I tried killall Dock in Terminal, and got "No matching processes belonging to you were found." I completely removed every CandyBar (icon-changing application) file and restarted, and still nothing. I DID remove various Dock files (com.apple.dock) while trying to change the iCal icon, and those have not been recreated, which is probably my problem now that I mention it...Anyways, I'd REALLY appreciate any help at all!

Relavant info:
I have a MacBook running Snow Leopard, OS X 10.6.8
1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
...I don't know what other info you'd need...but let me know!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.