• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning DVD Troubles....

Reaction score
I have a couple of videos on my mac and I am trying to get them burned onto a Blank Disk. I am using a Mac OS X Version 10.6.2 (MacBook Pro) and the blank disks i have are Memorex DVD-R. I have tried just right clicking on the video file and clicked burn to disk and i have tried using Toast to burn it to the disk. The process finishes without errors and verifies successfully. But the movie only plays on my mac.

It won't play on any DVD player i try it in or my Xbox or Playstation. Correction, the video i DID NOT use Toast for works on my PLAYSTATION ONLY. I have tried burning the same movie onto two different disks in case i had a bad disk the first time but it still won't work. I also tried a different video in case something was wrong with the initial file. In an APEX DVD player, the first movie comes up with a blank menu and i can't pick anything and the second video (video i used with Toast to burn) says unknown disk. In a Panasonic DVD Player, both movies say to check the disk. Any1 have any solutions for me? Maybe some settings were off when i burned it so a DVD player can't read it? Maybe the Blank Disks Brand is no good?

If the brand is no good...can anyone recomend a good brand of Blank DVDs? I heard that Taiyo Yuden is the best. But idk.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What format is your video?

OP
C
Reaction score
is it possible older DVD players don't play burned DVDs...both DVD players i am trying are pretty aged...probably both made in this decade (2000-2009)...not 100% sure though

OP
C
Reaction score
What format is your video?

when i put the disk in my laptop and right click and click on "get info"....next to format it says Mac OS Extended...is this the problem? maybe i didn't set it up right when i used toast...if any1 can give a brief walk through on how to burn it to a disk using toast, i'd really appreciate any help

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What did you do to resolve your problem?

So that if someone else comes along with the same problem, they will find an answer.

OP
C
Reaction score
when using toast... there are 5 tabs under the "Toast" label and i was on the wrong tab, i was burning the movies to the disks as if they were data files not video files...i had to go over to the DVD Video tab lol

Reaction score
HI CPT, can you give me the link for toast ? I need to move some of my movies to DVD and I tried using the iDVD on my macbook and it was going to take 88 hrs !! ridiculous ! I assume toast will be my saviour.

Would appreciate link as I dont know what one is best for my macbook (just bought it last month) - thanks CBDGAL Tan !

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Trouble burning DVD

I am using IDVD to burn a slide show which I created in IPhoto. It goes through the whole process and tells me the DVD has been created and I go to test it and the DVD player spits it out. My husband tried to play it on his PC laptop and the same thing happens. I am using Sony DVD-R 16 speed disc and I have an 2010 Imac. Please help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.