Help With First Gen Ipod

Reaction score
I have a First Gen Ipod that went dead on me yesterday. I heard that Apple doesn't replace the battery but instead gives u an Ipod of similar state? Is that true? Also If I were to send in my first gen Ipod, what gen ipod do u think they would replace mine with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Welcome to MF.

You could pay to get your battery replaced, or you could buy a battery and do it yourself. They won't replace you're iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually - they will.

Most of the time the battery replacement service just sends out a refurbished model of the same generation.

So if you send yours in, you'll receive a used 1st Gen iPod with a newish outer casing. Unless they've run out of 1st gens that is...

But it is worth considering whether you want to spend 79$ to get it done or if you just want to do it yourself with a 15$ battery replacement kit off eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Actually - they will.

Most of the time the battery replacement service just sends out a refurbished model of the same generation.

So if you send yours in, you'll receive a used 1st Gen iPod with a newish outer casing. Unless they've run out of 1st gens that is...

But it is worth considering whether you want to spend 79$ to get it done or if you just want to do it yourself with a 15$ battery replacement kit off eBay.

and if for some reason you think the $79 dollar replacement is worth it, then you have to think to yourself that maybe you could spend $99 and get the "special deal silver nano..."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.