dvd/home movies

Reaction score
I recently dubbed all of my old VHS tapes over to DVD's & now I want to import them into idvd to streamline them for my kids. I am unable to upload them. Any ideas?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
iDVD is used for burning movies to disc. It sounds like by the term "streamline" that your intent is to edit them. For that, you would use iMovie.

How you import them into iMovie depends on what format you dubbed the VHS tapes to. iMovie can be used for this purpose, so I'm guessing you chose to use a different piece of software for this. Can you tell us about what format the footage files are in, and how you came to convert them to digital?

OP
G
Reaction score
iDVD is used for burning movies to disc. It sounds like by the term "streamline" that your intent is to edit them. For that, you would use iMovie.

How you import them into iMovie depends on what format you dubbed the VHS tapes to. iMovie can be used for this purpose, so I'm guessing you chose to use a different piece of software for this. Can you tell us about what format the footage files are in, and how you came to convert them to digital?

I don't really know. I used a VHS player hooked up to a DVD recorder, hit record on the recorder & play on the VHS player & vavoom, 2 hours later in hit finalize on the recorder and it was done.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Aha. So, you literally copied them from a VHS to a recordable DVD set top box. So, in essence, you will need to "rip" or convert the data from the DVDs into a format that iMovie can understand.

Here's an article that should help, just ignore the final step about exporting to FaceBook:

From DVD to iMovie to Facebook | Macworld

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.