Add text to photo in iPhoto

C

chas_m

Remember however that if you add text to a picture in iPhoto (using Preview or Portraits & Prints or whatever) that you can't then get RID of that text unless you "revert to original."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
Apple 1 to 1

No matter where you buy your Apple (even online) if you take the receipt to an Apple store you can sign up for the One to One service for $100.
This gives you actually 50 - 1 hour sessions on a 1 2 1 basis but usually people use it once a week for a year.
It's the BEST $100 you will ever spend!!

Reaction score
To add text to a photo just drag from iPhoto to the Dock and drop on Preview (doesn't even have to be open and running), use Annotate to add text then save with a new name to the desktop, then drag photo with new name to the Dock and drop on iPhoto, it will be imported with the new name ready for you to do what ever you want.

Yay! Exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you so much! I joined this forum because of this answer. :)

Reaction score
I tried that

Hi guys

I had the same query and found this forum. I did what was suggested (which I had already tried on my own as this seemed to be how one would EXPECT to be able to add text.

When I get to the part of clicking on the "annotate" button, there is no drop down list. What now?

Reaction score
Hi guys

I had the same query and found this forum. I did what was suggested (which I had already tried on my own as this seemed to be how one would EXPECT to be able to add text.

When I get to the part of clicking on the "annotate" button, there is no drop down list. What now?

There won't be a drop down list when you click on the Annotate button, the tools will appear at the bottom of the window. You will get a drop down list when you use the Tools in the menu bar and select Annotate.

Reaction score
Thank you! All sorted... I was being a little obtuse.

Reaction score
Adding text to photo

I am trying to do the same thing here and am having some trouble. From the menu at the top of the screen everything is grey in the annotate drop down. From the menu in the previews window I was able to add annotate and make an oval window but do not see how to add text... I have a MacBook and am running OS X 10.5.8.

In advance thank you for your help
BK

Reaction score
I am trying to do the same thing here and am having some trouble. From the menu at the top of the screen everything is grey in the annotate drop down. From the menu in the previews window I was able to add annotate and make an oval window but do not see how to add text... I have a MacBook and am running OS X 10.5.8.

BK

I believe Preview in OS X 10.5.8 you will have to put the "Annotate" button on the tool bar by going to the View menu and choosing "Customize Tool Bar" you can drag the Annotate button to the tool bar. The Annotate you are seeing now is to annotate PDF's and not images..

Reaction score

BK

Tp add text if I remember right just drag the text box out where you want it then start typing, you can change the Font, Size and Color of the text too.
This screen shot is from 10.6's Preview but may be similar.

Screen shot 2011-07-18 at Jul 18,  3.27.54 PM.jpg

Reaction score
I believe Preview in OS X 10.5.8 you will have to put the "Annotate" button on the tool bar by going to the View menu and choosing "Customize Tool Bar" you can drag the Annotate button to the tool bar. The Annotate you are seeing now is to annotate PDF's and not images..

Thank you for the quick reply! I did drag the annotate button to the window tool bar. The only thing I seem to be able to do Is make an oval. Scratch scratch????

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply! I did drag the annotate button to the window tool bar. The only thing I seem to be able to do Is make an oval. Scratch scratch????

Click and hold the Annotate button for a second, I believe a POP UP menu will appear where you can select what you want to do..

Reaction score
All steps arent clear..

Long explanation, but it works!

1) Have 'FINDER' open in Task Bar
2) Put photo from 'iPhoto' or similar program onto the Desktop
3) Double Click photo
4) 'PREVIEW' should now be at the top of your Mac

If you have not done so, go to VIEW, CUSTOMIZE TOOLBAR, and drag 'Annotate' button to your Taskbar

5) Use the Annotate 'button' and arrow down until you see 'Note', click or highlight

In my next life, I am going to rewrite manuals! ☺

Ok, I am lost at step 5.
Can you be more precise about what to do? What do you mean use the annotate button and arrow down?
I click on the annotate button...nothing happens. Click on the annotate button along with the arrow-down button. Nothing happens.
So can you please start at step 5 and be very very precise in what should be done?
Thanks
:Blushing:

Reaction score
Same query, a few years on...

Same query. I have Adobe CS5 on a Windows machine, but this new Mac on which I'm eager to do everything "native" (with the one sin of using Outlook/Mac) . I have found decent web editing tools for Mac (beyond iWeb) and FTP tools, and end up using iPhoto for "sharing" and quick fixes. But, I can't use it to polish any of my 1/2 million images for use on the web - without a way to add my name, copyright, etc., to the image. Have yet - in late 2011 - to find a way to be "All Mac" without re-investing a chunk of cash in CS5 for Mac. Well, I'll follow the advice I see and try some varying search queries. There must be others who wonder about how to title a photo on a Mac - natively. :$

Reaction score
Thanks - 2 choices now (at least)

Wow, thanks, that was fast (years faster than the last post!).
Will give it a look.

Meanwhile, while I posted on a dead-end thread, I wound up finding (and being) "here" - and want to thank Pomeroy too.

It took just a bit of fiddling with preview and iPhoto to get the annotate function in play, and a few minutes to figure out how to size, color, and place the text, but as described, Preview seems to be a decent tool for simple things like placing a Copyright notice on the bottom of a publicly posted photo or info graphic. I actually have enjoyed some of the iPhoto features, especially the easy eye red-out, cropping, straightening, and adjustment tools. For web (other than the "add text" option being dependent on Preview) there are some good tools and features. (I'm using Lion and the latest iLife version - fwiw. In Preview it's a matter of tools/annotate/add text. That's it!)

I use a second photo sorter/editor for Mac (ACDSee Pro) which can do resizing and some other things, but not text overlays. So, it's a way to go for me, thank you much. And for the additional software recommendation too. :)

Reaction score
adding text through "Preview"

following the discussions and instructions here, i exported a pic out of iPhoto onto my desk top.
Then I opened the pic in Preview.
I used Tools and went down to Annotate.
I went to add text. but no matter which font i selected, the text on the pic was almost microscopic. it was impossible to read. i tried to highlight it and make it bigger but that didn't work.
i tried this several times, including trashing the whole project and starting completely new.
what am i doing wrong?

C

chas_m

what am i doing wrong?

Not using the font menu:

IOW, use the font menu to see the size nice and large BEFORE you draw the text box. The reason you're seeing the fonts as "microscopic" and thus difficult to select is because you're apparently working with a much higher-resolution image than the default 12-point (or whatever), 72dpi font pre-selected is set for.

Reaction score
Here goes - my mission for this week, learn to 'go native' with Preview and Mac (plus a TB of images) -
Sorry if I'm being obvious, or Newbyish, or repetitive. But I was inspired to figure this out and think I have. And I know I'm alone, so I took notes and now share this in the hope it helps others (as the other posts here helped and inspired me!) Without further adieu, straight from my desktop via text editor! :)

OK… With Lion OSX 10.7.3 and Preview 5.51. To title. Thanks to all from whom I've drawn...

1. Have image on desktop. Yes, and it may not open with Preview if you're using something else to open .jpegs by default, I found. So: "open with" Preview. Either way, that's definitely step 1.

Note: Although you can reverse it, step by step (using edit to undo one change at a time) it's best to use a duplicate, ready-to-use image. Why? Because you can't "save as" MyTrip-titled.jpg if the original is MyTrip.jpg" The only file-menu option is to "save a version" and that may do so, but the image on your desktop now has the added text, but the same name. Gone is the 'original' without text. It's not automatically creating a 'layer' and keeping the original non-destructible.

2. Here goes. Select from the main menu bar up top

TOOLS/
ANNOTATE/
ADD TEXT

As you long as you go straight away to the image (pausing to type this caused me to lose the cursor and to begin again) … and stay with Preview, it's quite easy after just a little experimentation and practice.

TOOLS/ANNOTATE/ADD TEXT - Do this and a simple cross hair (+) is now your cursor. Open up a rectangular box around the size you'd like the text, by grabbing one of its points.
Click, hold the button as you and drag open (or 'pinch'?) the area you want to insert the text. Let go.
You'll see a 'virtual text box' space, 8 points around a rectangle (if you've defined a rectangle). Very likely if you just start typing before you create the box you'll see diagrammed, you're using minuscule font size in minuscule space. Even when you stretch out an 'add text' box, unless you have set a large font size, you won't see it. Use the Font selector button to choose size and color and style, and if you've not left preview you can now do your typing and it will appear in the rectangle you've created. (Or balloon, etc., see below)

So far so good, right? As several of us have found, the text may indeed be minuscule despite several efforts. But I've gotten it to work now, and replicated it 3x, a final time making a combination of titles and text balloons and copyright, plus doing some slight tweaking of the image itself, and all very quick to do.

With the text-add area still showing after you've chosen to annotate/add text, you can choose any size text, within the area, or beyond. (If you make the text way too big in one mode it may be shaded blue. If you use 'add outlined text' the boxed off area you designate is 'reserved' for that box's space, and if you move the text beyond it, it vanishes.) Other text can't overlap into it either. But you have total flexibility with adding text, different styles and colors, all over, all in one "layer". Bottom line: what you see is what you get -
once you've opened up the add text dialogue, defined the space to use, and put the cursor within the text area (click once, no need to hold!) and just type., Way big, way tiny, or just right. That's it!

It seems simplest and most versatile to just "add text" - you can later change the size, and position, and color - in a number of ways.

I find it easiest to use the A (font) button for just about all the steps, including color, as the color sample button is limited to stock choices and your last-chosen color. But the A (alpha, slanted A) icon, leads to a whole menu concerning the text size, color, and style. (The black A on the menu immediately above the image, not the grey-box A) in a menu above that.)

The text area is still showing and the boundary where you left it while heading to the Font menu. If you type immediately after you click, without first designating the font size and text location, you'll practically need a microscope, as many have observed. Tiny. But… it's easy to just construct your text area, go to the A/font button, pick your text size, font style and font color - using a color wheel and slider, even adjusting opacity settings if you wish. Nice.

Assign any size and type away. WYSIWYG. Choose a color, appropriate size, type it in, move it, tweak it, you're home free.

Final notes, after replicating 3x. - Now 4x, going a bit overboard as a 'final exam' for myself, and composing a text-rich photo with title, subtitle, text box, and copyright. In about 10 minutes,

There actually is a lot of versatility, some extra steps possibly, but some nice features and even I am getting quicker with it after a short 'learning curve'.. For me, who likes to keep track of 'files' and pull them up in various photo editing software, this took a bit to accustom too, but I'm now enjoying what I can do 'native' with Preview. It's a useful tool. Can't 'share' easily with it, a perq of using iPhoto, but it's great for what it can do.

Note 1: After 3 trials it became super-quick to follow the above steps, getting a sense of the sizing relative to the print size and preview window, learning the font tools, and how easy it is to move the text or change it - anywhere along the way. Easy. From a title or date to copyright notice, it's really simple, as long as one keeps things in Preview during the titling.

Note 2: Saving - To me this was the biggest challenge to understand and master the use of Preview.

The solution ends up (while staying in Preview the entire time) being -
1. Our photo, ready to title, is on the desktop, opened by Preview. (sorry to repeat).
2 Immediately use the menu to "duplicate". You'll now see two identical images, same name still, side by side.

Do your thing adding text, to one of the two only. (It's very easy to change size/location of the text box, and it 'remembers' the color last used, displayed next to the font "A".) Click the A to choose a custom color and font size/style. Make sure you're looking at a bounded area for text, and type.

LASTLY: File/Save the one you've just worked on. (You can click on the image if it's still displaying the boundary lines and they'll disappear so you can see the final result. But it's still not saved.)
A menu will prompt as to what quality/size to save as *and* what to name it. On the one I've now changed, I retitle it "picture-titled" the pre-duplicated original having been "picture". Save, and it's done. Close. The first time I tried in vain to find the right "save as" vs. save options, but for me this now works easily. On one trial I found the first of the 2 same-named images (one, the duplicate, which I was working with) was "locked" so I just closed it. The other originals had a "save" or "save as" option and I saved as themselves (originals).

At first I found the image I'd titled was the image I saw on my desktop, and the original (pre-text) image had been replaced. I could still use the edit menu to walk it back step by step until it was the original without text. I saved this original state as a "copy" (of the 'original' with text!). EIther way…. options.

Been a long day/night here, but I saw the comment from someone struggling as I did with the micro-text experience of Preview. So with apologies to the masters, for redundancy, and not meaning to be pedantic, either (just a hard-core scientist and sharer-type who is tired and fast-typing) -- I was motivated by this post and having the day off tomorrow to do battle with Preview for once and all. I do believe I got it, it's doable, and it turns out to be quite a versatile tool for image manipulation, beyond and in addition to iPhoto. :)

It's quite an annotator! (Wish I could post my funny result, but I'm sure others have seen better photos!)
Thanks all, happy imaging, and hope this helps others who seek and find this thread, as I did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.