Hard Drive Help

Reaction score
Spillage Damage

My son spilt a glass of water over our macbook and its died!!! How can I take the information from the hard drive?

I don't have another macbook to transfer the information onto, can anyone help me please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My son spilt a glass of water over our macbook and its died!!! How can I take the information from the hard drive?

Probably...but you're going to need another computer to transfer the info.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I asked this question a while ago but have been major hassle trying to access my account!!!!

My son spilt a glass of water over our macbook and its died!!! Am I able to remove the information from the Hard Drive?

I don't have another macbook to transfer the information onto but I have an Acer laptop, can anyone help me please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My son spilt a glass of water over our macbook and its died!!! Am I able to remove the information from the Hard Drive?

Most likely it is possible to get the info from that hard drive (assuming it wasn't damaged in the spill)...but you're most likely going to need to remove the hard drive from the MacBook, and install it into an external drive case...before the info can be accessed by another computer.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Threads merged.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you, willI I be able to use a normal hard drive reader or do I need a specific mac type or cables?

Sorry, never had any experience on macs before and not knowledgable at all. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, willI I be able to use a normal hard drive reader...

What do you mean by a "normal hard drive reader"?

I mentioned above that you would need to remove the hard drive from the MacBook...then install the hard drive into an external hard drive case (the 2.5" variety for laptop HD's).

These days...most external hard drive cases are usually the SATA format. Most of these external HD cases have a USB cable...so you just need a computer with a USB port...preferably another Mac to be able to "see" things properly.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
It is a SATA reader that I have, connectable to another computer with a usb. Unfortunately I do not have another mac that I can connect it to. Is there a program that I can use to be able to read the documents and save them onto my portable hard drive?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you will be trying to read the Mac files from a Windows machine you will need something like MacDrive MacDrive Haven't used it myself but there are not many other options that I am aware of.

OP
P
Reaction score
Have managed to get the hard drive out and placed it in my reader, unfortnately nothing happened. Is there any other way that I can get the information off the hard drve? There are some really important photos that I could use (hubby isnt happy that I trashed his mac anyway and now I canny do anything to fix it!!!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like your only option may be a commercial recovery company. That will cost thousands!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.