Garage Band -- how to precisely cut/splice audio tracks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
I can get the (MP3) tracks in, get graphic display, and cut the tracks exactly where I want. However, after saving, the tracks contain 3-4 seconds of dead air at the end. Wanting to.....

1) Cut/save track segments precisely without that dead air and....

2) Connect various clips together into a single track.

What am I missing?

PS: It seems tracks purchased/downloaded from Music Store do not allow any such manipulation. Is that right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
At the end of the whole thing in garageband (scroll the window all the way to the right), there is a purple arrow on top. This is where the track ends. Slide this to where you want the track to end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
you cannot use tracks from the music store because they are protected. use such applications as jhymn to remove this however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
At the end of the whole thing in garageband (scroll the window all the way to the right), there is a purple arrow on top. This is where the track ends. Slide this to where you want the track to end.

So, by doing this, does it create two tracks - one that ends where you drag the purple arrow to, and one that begins there? Can you then save each track as a separate file?

I want to record one long track (about an hour long) and split it into 4 tracks of 15 minutes each, with no gap between each track when you play it back.

Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
So, by doing this, does it create two tracks - one that ends where you drag the purple arrow to, and one that begins there? Can you then save each track as a separate file?

I want to record one long track (about an hour long) and split it into 4 tracks of 15 minutes each, with no gap between each track when you play it back.

Does that make sense?

Position the red marker where you want to cut. (zoom to get more precise) Apple key, T to split the track. Now, save the project. First delete everything except the first 15 min, then adjust the end time (slide the end arrow back) and export. Once in itunes, rename to track 1 (or what ever fits) now back in GB "revert to save and repeat but with the next section and on until your done. Rename the files in itunes as they go in. Remember not to save a second time and always adjust the end time or you will have dead air.

As for itunes song, burn to cd then re-import and they can be used.

I think I understood you question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I'll give it a try. One question though: when you say "adjust the end time (slide the arrow back)" and "always adjust the end time or you will have dead air" - for me, it needs to flow EXACTLY from one track to another, no overlapping or anything noticeable. What I am doing is recording DJ mixes live, and I want to break up an hour or an hour and twenty minute mix into 4 tracks. So that when you listen to it on a CD, it still sounds like one track and you don't notice the track transitions.

I used to use Nero Wave Editor on PC, and it was super easy to do this; just mark where you want the track, choose Insert Track, then do the next one, etc., then Save Tracks as Files.

I'm just wondering, with the method you described, will there be any trial and error in trying to split the tracks so they transition smoothly? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean about adjusting the end time so there is no dead air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I did miss understand then. I was thinking you wanted 4 different songs from one hour of recording.

If you have spliced together a bunch of songs on one track, Slide them up to each other till they touch, then select them all and hit Apple key J.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I did miss understand then. I was thinking you wanted 4 different songs from one hour of recording.

If you have spliced together a bunch of songs on one track, Slide them up to each other till they touch, then select them all and hit Apple key J.

mmm...still think we're not quite on the same page :)
The recording is made in GB as one basic track, no effects. I am using two turnables and a mixer, plugged into a soundcard, which goes into the Mac via USB. I do my thing for an hour or so, recording in GB, then when I'm done with the mix, stop the recording in GB. So now there is one track in GB; yes, it is many tracks mixed together, but not spliced together on one track. That would sound to me like you mean a bunch of seperate songs all laid down one after another. All of my tracks are blended together for 2 minutes or so, so you can't tell where one stops and the other one begins. It's a continuous mix, not several tracks in a row. I think you are thinking more like wedding DJ style DJ mix.

So - is there a way to take that one track, and just split it into 4 equal parts? No overlapping, and no gap between tracks?

Alternatively, if there is no way to do that in GB, do you know of any other software that will do it? I think I remember that Nero does not work on Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry, I keep saying "tracks" in my post above, when I am trying to say "songs." Except for the actual TRACK in Garage Band.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I've gotta stop posting at night :)

Ok, you have one Track that you want four songs right?

Follow the directions I first posted about spitting and exporting.

Now once each song is in itunes go to info and select the option "part of gapless play back"

Or

Just export it as one, one hour song.

Same page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, after I posted last, I was thinking your first set of instructions were actually what I was looking for - just wasn't sure about the part where you said after deleting everything except the first 15 minutes, leaving one 15 minute track, "adjusting the end time by sliding the arrow back" OHH wait maybe I get it now! You just mean take the arrow from the one hour mark and move it to the 15 minute mark?

Ok yeah, I need to stop posting when it's late and I am brain dead too. You were right the first time.

So I just need to be careful not to save it when I delete sections, just export, correct?

Thanks, that will work I'm sure. Still seems like there is about 10 more steps than there needs to be but oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right it is a lot of steps and there might be an easier way. But because you are turning one project into 4 songs you essentially have to create 4 separate projects. My directions just skips the step of save each project separately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, I just realized you can do this a lot easier by importing the file into audacity and splitting it up there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, you got me. What are the steps in audacity? I find GB can do any thing Audacity can do. (except noise removal)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's just that you can highlight a selection of the track, then "save selection as," which opens a new window with the selection you just saved. Then go back to the original window, highlight the next selection, save as, and so on. Cuts out the deleting steps in GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, that's just freakin cool. Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. There's an even better way to do it too, just saw this on Audacity's FAQ's:

1. Click to place the cursor at the start of the first song.
2. Choose “Add Label at Selection” from the Project menu. If you wish, you can type the name of the song.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each song.
4. When you are finished, choose “Export Multiple” from the File menu. When you click the “Export” button, Audacity will save each song as a separate file, using the format and location you choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Learn something new everyday thanx again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.