Connection OS X to Ubuntu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
OK, some help please. How do I connect a MBP with Tiger to Ubuntu 7.10? Say I have Ubuntu installed from scratch and the MBP is connecting via a wireless network.

Can some one help me or point me in the right direction?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Your post is a little unclear. What exactly do you mean by "connect." And is ubuntu installed on the macbook pro or on another machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
You will have to make sure that ssh is installed on Ubuntu.

From the command line (terminal)
sudo apt-get install ssh

If you use the synaptic package manager, just search for ssh and install both the client and server.

Once that is done, you can open a terminal on either computer and type

ssh <your username>@<the other computers ip address> and hit enter
if your username is the same on both computers, then
ssh <the other computers ip address> is good enough

If both of your computers are behind the same router you should have no problems, if you are trying to get from a location on the internet to your computer at home, you will have to set up port forwarding on your router and give your computers a reserved ip address (check your router documentation for how to do this)

hope that helps

cheers

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You will have to make sure that ssh is installed on Ubuntu.

From the command line (terminal)
sudo apt-get install ssh

If you use the synaptic package manager, just search for ssh and install both the client and server.

Once that is done, you can open a terminal on either computer and type

ssh <your username>@<the other computers ip address> and hit enter
if your username is the same on both computers, then
ssh <the other computers ip address> is good enough

If both of your computers are behind the same router you should have no problems, if you are trying to get from a location on the internet to your computer at home, you will have to set up port forwarding on your router and give your computers a reserved ip address (check your router documentation for how to do this)

hope that helps

cheers

Is SSH really the best way? Just trying to share folders really. I guess I should have explained better. I'm trying to have my itunes share for my MBP on the Ubuntu machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Ahh..okay...

In that case Samba works very well and is trivial to setup on Ubuntu. I personally don't use it anymore so I can't help you with the setup, but you should be able to find the answer on the Ubunut forums but basically apt-get install samba, setup file sharing for windows on your mac and connect to it from your Ubuntu box

Hope that helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.