Mail App: Early emails do not show

Reaction score
Hi,

As many of you are aware, not all of your emails (inbox, sent) from the IOS Mail app show, namely your earliest emails. Maybe I'm missing it, but does anyone know of an option within setting to change this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
As many of you are aware, not all of your emails (inbox, sent) from the IOS Mail app show, namely your earliest emails. Maybe I'm missing it, but does anyone know of an option within setting to change this?

Ah.... they should all be showing. There is no setting to tell it not to show everything. What email service are you using? Does it use IMAP or POP?

OP
S
Reaction score
I use the default Mail app that comes with the iphone. I'm not sure if it's IMAP or POP.

I've had this issue for this iphone 5s and iphone 4s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use the default Mail app that comes with the iphone. I'm not sure if it's IMAP or POP.

I've had this issue for this iphone 5s and iphone 4s.

And what email service are you using? Yahoo, iCloud, GMail, etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ok. If you log in to Hotmail via a web browser on your desktop, do you see mail there that you do not see on the iPhone? On the iPhone, be sure you scroll all the way down. Also... how many emails do you have in the Inbox, Sent, etc?

OP
S
Reaction score
I see a whole series of emails on desktop (OSX/Windows) that I do not see on my Iphone. Emails prior to a certain date are not on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see a whole series of emails on desktop (OSX/Windows) that I do not see on my Iphone. Emails prior to a certain date are not on there.

Again... how many emails are in the inbox, sent folder, etc? If you have an extraordinarily high number, that may be a factor. And when you say "on the desktop", is this an app or via a web browser?

The reason I ask... if the service uses POP email, then each email client has an option to delete messages off the server once downloaded. If all your messages are in a desktop app but not on the iPhone, then your desktop app may have deleted everything off the server once downloaded, or at least it did once in the past. In that case, those emails will only be in the desktop app. If you log in via a web browser, you effectively are "on the server" and can see what's still there. But that's all only true for POP servers. IMAP servers keep everything synced and on the server.

OP
S
Reaction score
When I refer to desktop I mean 'web browser' (firefox). In total from my web browser, I only have 20 emails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a little more digging and it does appear that with Hotmail, you can set it to download a limited number of "days" worth of emails. Here's a link on how to add a Hotmail account:
How to Sync a Hotmail Account on an iPhone: 8 Steps

You'll see towards the bottom what the setting is that I'm referring to. You should be able to adjust this though since you are already set up. Follow steps 1 and 2 in that link, then jump to step 7.

OP
S
Reaction score
I know the resolution now. Inside of settings there is an option which say "Mail days to sync'. Mine is '1 week'. It should be 'no limit'. I can see ALL my emails now! Cool!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you set up hotmail on the iPhone 5S with iOS 7, it asked a question - something to the effect of what date do you want to use for the cutoff time of emails to show - whatever date you put in - it's not going to show any emails prior to that date.

The only way you're going to fix it, is to remove hotmail and add it back in and use a different date.

edit:
ya'll are faster than I am - good to know there's actually a setting there instead of needing to remove and add the account again...

M

MacInWin

This is a double thread. Go see my caution on the other one.

MODS< you may want to merge this with this one. Started out differently, but ended up with the same discussion and posts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.