Intermittent screen chunking/kernel panics/3 beeps on startup

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Mid 2012 macbook pro 13'' just came back from a factory repair after water damage. Ram sticks and logic board were supposedly replaced at the factory for the level 4 accidental water damage deal.

Here are symptoms:
- Occasionally, screen will chunk and computer will be unresponsive. Only thing I can do is manually power off. Sometimes it starts back up, sometimes I get the 3 beeps of death indicating RAM failure. Sometimes I can wait a bit and it will boot back up, but sometimes I have to go into my computer and manually swap the RAM sticks in order to get my computer to boot back up. This hasn't completely fixed the problem but it will always get it to stop 3 beeping, at least until it crashes again and won't turn back on again.

- Around the time I did a PRAM reset on my intel-based mac, I stopped getting screen chunk crashes and got crashes where my computer would restart itself and display a panic report, ask me if I want to send it to apple, etc.

- These crashes sometimes seemed to be triggered by moving my computer, or plugging in something to the headphone jack... that kind of thing.

Not really sure what the deal is. My comp runs fine aside from this problem, haven't noticed any slowdown. I haven't brought it back to apple yet because I feel like anytime I go there I end up waiting around for an hour and I have to study for the GMAT. My comp is still covered under warranty since I did the factory repair but I use my computer to study so I'd like to see what I can do here.

PS: oh, thought it was obvious but I should probably mention my computer never did any of this before I had it fixed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take it back to Apple. You're not going to get it resolved until you do. Sorry to be so blunt but they performed the repairs (probably a new logic board) and should have checked everything out before returning it to you. Also, Apple warrants their repairs and parts.

Make an appointment before you go in as that will eliminate the long wait for service.

Reaction score
Take it back to Apple. You're not going to get it resolved until you do. Sorry to be so blunt but they performed the repairs (probably a new logic board) and should have checked everything out before returning it to you. Also, Apple warrants their repairs and parts.

Make an appointment before you go in as that will eliminate the long wait for service.

Ditto to this.. they cover repairs for 90 days..

you paid a fortune for the Tier IV repair--make them cover it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.