Mac Office 2011 update

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft issued a critical update for Mac Office 2011 today. The update is 14.4.2

If you have automatic updates turned on in Office the updater will notify you of the download. All other applications (including any Office app) must be closed in order to install the update.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Interesting. Have had Word open in the background for a while and not gotten the notice. Even closing the app and re-opening it does not produce the message. It takes a while for those to "pop" for me sometimes so perhaps the notice will appear later.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Sly:

Go here: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app

Double click and away you go...... ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. It never occurred to me to go in search of something like that. Got the update downloaded and installed. The last bit of running installer scripts and writing the necessary files took a bit longer than usual but otherwise everything looks OK.

I figured out why the updates are not necessarily popping up for me at the same time they are for others. I have it set to notify me weekly and it has not been quite a week since the last time I checked for updates.

BTW I thought there was an option somewhere in the menus to trigger an update check but I don't see one. I know lots of other Mac software has this option.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW I thought there was an option somewhere in the menus to trigger an update check but I don't see one. I know lots of other Mac software has this option.

You actually thought Microsoft Office for the Mac software is like other Mac software? ;P

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What can I say. I remember when Office for the Mac not only behaved like Mac software but performed better than the PC version. For those that don't remember see here for example.

I think I have owned every release of Word since version 5. MSoft's decision to use a common code base certainly explains some of the problem with 6 (and perhaps some of the problems with subsequent versions). Each iteration seems to be less Mac like in many ways.

BTW Wasn't Word 6 so bad, including problems with file corruption during saves, that Microsoft offered purchasers of 6 who did not like it the option to downgrade.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, wait until you see Mac Office 2014 and the changes that MS has supposedly made that will "enhance" our Office experience. In other words, hang on to your 2011 version!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks. It never occurred to me to go in search of something like that.

Shoot, I clicked "keep in Dock" awhile back just for situations like this. Gotta get it tonight!

Reaction score

Help - Check for updates

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Help - Check for updates

LOL, that's too easy. Seriously, sometimes that doesn't work for whatever reason. The MS Mac update server is busy or whatever, however, running the update App always seems to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Spot on cradom. Charlie's way sure makes it difficult. Never had it fail yet and I set mine to manual search rather than auto. Maybe living in the 'advanced' world time wise is an advantage never find Apple, Microsoft, or any server's busy.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Help - Check for updates

I wasn't expecting it to be there. Knew I had seen it somewhere. Everybody else puts it under the opposite side of the program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.