tempo match in Garage Band

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini g4 1.5ghz, powerbook g4 1.5ghz aluminum, iphone 8gig, ipod 30 and 4 gig
Is there a way to match to tempo of two songs in garage band?
thanks

Reaction score
ive been trying to figure this out for a long time as well, so i can make remixes and new songs and stuff like that. Anyone know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD 867, 2GB, ATI 9800 Pro, 10.5.x
If you followed the time signature and BPM when you created the song, then it should be easy. Eg. - One song's time signature is 4/4, 120BPM while the other is 4/4, 100BPM. Change the BPM to equal eachother, save, then import one of the songs. If you have a song with 3/4 and one is 4/4, it's not going to layer correctly because one song has 3 quarter notes in a measure while the other has 4. Of course I've only found tempo changes possible with software instruments.

Reaction score
Garageband, I am better than thou! BOW DOWN

Heres a step by step on how i figured out how to edit tempos for songs. I am really ashamed and even more astounded by the notion that nobody has been able to figure this out up until now. Your parents all must be so proud of you, the epitomes of ingenuity...jesus.
Okay let me explain how to do this. Ill spare your self esteem and get'chall edjuhhkaterd! :)
For starters, you're gonna have to find the ACTUAL tempo of the song. And good god, if you don't know how to do that, JUST QUIT. Seriously. It isn't hard. If you aren't completely inane, pat yourself on the back, and skip down to the NOW THAT YOU ARENT COMPLETELY STUPID

But, if you're incompetent and can't figure out tempo's yourselves, Here is a playbyplay for the Kinder-garteners:
here is a hint: YOU HAVE AUDIO AND VISUAL REPRESENTATIONS OF A TRACK IN GARAGE BAND. still don't know? pathetic. okay. you can use the metronome function to track the tempo of the song. Increase/Decrease the speed to get it right. If the song starts out off tempo, switch the time increment to 64th's (the ruler in the upper right hand corner of the tracker and the editor), and fix it so it does. when the beat is in sync with metronome,
Congratulations, you've graduated preschool.
NOW THAT YOU ARENT COMPLETELY STUPID
At this point, the hard stuff is over.
you're gonna need to chop up your track now. Im a little unsure on the parameters; you either need to chop them in to 1:15 second sections, OR, you need to chop them into 50 measure sections. Mess with that and get back to me.*

The last step, is adding your song segments to the loop library.
(If you do not already know how to add to your loop library, then truly, you are pathetic. But just because I pity you, first select your track clipping, then on the menu bar go to edit, add to loop library, for type choose loop**, and then press create)

If you've done it all correctly, you should be able to drop your segments into place, and change the tempo. Respectively, it will increase or decrease the tempo of the song all together. As for matching the tempo of the song, just speed it up or slow it down so it matches.

NOTES:
* after 2:30 seconds, the song was unable to be put in as a loop, so you may have to hack the rest of the song, pull the other clippings up the the front, export it to iTunes, and then start the process all over again. If you can figure a way around this, then you are fantastic and are my hero.
(I'm entirely kidding, you're not that cool. you didn't even know how to figure everything out previously, I did so much more work.)

** make sure you select loop, this is crucial. I don't want anyone running back to this thread complaining about not being able to change the tempo of the song; you're an idiot. pay attention to details and maybe you'll suck less in your mediocre life.

THERE YOU HAVE IT:
1. FIND YOUR TEMPO
2. CHOP YOUR SONG UP
3. LOAD IT TO YOUR LOOP LIBRARY
4. MATCH YOUR TEMPO TO THE SONG YOU WANT

easy as pie.

now if i could learn how to tie my shoes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Your activity will be very limited, I can already tell. (to the above poster)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Your activity will be very limited, I can already tell. (to the above poster)

Agree and wonder if he looked at when it was originally posted ....
What was it he was talking about ?? Kindergarten .... ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.