Help! My MacBook Pro may have water damage :(

Reaction score
Hi there, everyone. I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro that I purchased new from Best Buy in December 2015. Last week, I thought my MacBook Pro was looking a little dirty so with my laptop powered off, I tried cleaning it with some water and tissues. After cleaning it, I turned it on. My keyboard stopped working. It wouldn't let me type my password in. I tried doing the smc reset but it didn't work. So I turned my computer off with the power button. I restarted it again a minute or two later and it went to a password reset thing but I couldn't do it because my keyboard isn't working. It had an option to boot from the hard drive. But I didn't feel comfortable with that. So I turned it off again and googled water damage MacBook Pro. One of the tips I saw was to dry it off and leave it upside down on a towel with a fan to dry it out for a few days. Two days later, I tried again. Same thing keyboard didn't work. My screen seems to be ok. The laptop still charges. I only tried to see if it would still charge for a second. I'm not sure exactly how much water got in but I know it wasn't much. I haven't taken it to the Apple Store yet. Could it just be a problem with the keyboard? the backlights are not coming on. I hope this is something fixable. I use this computer for school.
Thanks,
Julie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Ohh dear that is a shame. Liquids should never be taken near a notebook computer but it is a little late. Go to this 'sticky' on this very subject. It is very common, and sadly it is often fatal if the water has got into the logic board. Should that be the case., the fix is often +$500.00.

Except Apple's own advice is to clean retina screens with a damp cloth. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht204172

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Except Apple's own advice is to clean retina screens with a damp cloth. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht204172

Cleaning a retina screen with a damp cloth is very different from cleaning your keyboard with a wet cloth, towel, or anything else that contains liquids. I routinely clean the screen of my iMac, iPhone, and iPad with a soft tissue and lens cleaning fluid. I slightly dampen the tissue with the lens cleaning fluid and wipe. Does the job every time and no danger to the equipment.

Now if I could only keep my cat off my desk and stop her from rubbing her head on the back of my iMac. LOL. BTW, how do you keep your cats away from your MacBook Pro? Cats seem to love computers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Certainly a big difference between a damp cloth (where you couldn't wring out any liquid even if you had the strength of Hercules);)...and a cloth dripping with liquid (which would certainly be a "no-no")!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Now if I could only keep my cat off my desk and stop her from rubbing her head on the back of my iMac. LOL. BTW, how do you keep your cats away from your MacBook Pro? Cats seem to love computers.

One of them has no interest but the other is a video junkie.
IMG_8065 (1).jpg
Being a MBP, I shut the lid when I'm not around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'No except' Sue. Different to using a cloth and water over the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Chscag - Susan & I have plenty of animals of all sorts - no problem since all are stuffed! ;) Some of our bunnies below - Dave :)
Bunnies.JPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Dave:

What's even more interesting is that collection of DVDs under the bunnies! Some of those titles go way back like "On the Waterfront" with Marlon Brando. Loved that movie and if I remember, Marlon won the best actor Academy Award for his role in it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave:

What's even more interesting is that collection of DVDs under the bunnies! Some of those titles go way back like "On the Waterfront" with Marlon Brando. Loved that movie and if I remember, Marlon won the best actor Academy Award for his role in it. :)

Good Evening! Just a 'small' part of my 'commercial' DVD/BD collection (which now is 800+ in number, about 500+ BluRays) - the pic is old, so many of those DVDs are now BDs, including On The Waterfront which is an outstanding Criterion restoration - the film was nominated for 12 Oscars and won 8, including as above Brando as 'Best Actor' - Dave :)
maxresdefault.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.06.14 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interestingly a mate of mine, probably Australia's most prominent actor, was great mate's with Brando.

Jack says the most he ever learned was from a comment of Brando's. Coming from the stage, with prompt's etc, he had to learn to act all over again when it was necessary to express something with no words, just his facial expression.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interestingly a mate of mine, probably Australia's most prominent actor, was great mate's with Brando.

You talking Mel Gibson or Oliva Newton John?? lol

- Nick

p.s. Maybe (seriously) you're referring to Bill Hunter, Rod Taylor, Peter Finch...or maybe even Errol Flynn.:) Hopefully not Paul Hogan!!;)

I would say even Errol Flynn would be before your time to be mates with (he passed away in 1959).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Jack says the most he ever learned was from a comment of Brando's. Coming from the stage, with prompt's etc, he had to learn to act all over again when it was necessary to express something with no words, just his facial expression.

You talking Mel Gibson or Oliva Newton John?? lol

- Nick

p.s. Maybe (seriously) you're referring to Bill Hunter, Rod Taylor, Peter Finch...or maybe even Errol Flynn.:) Hopefully not Paul Hogan!!;)

I would say even Errol Flynn would be before your time to be mates with (he passed away in 1959).

Well, since Harry called his mate Jack - just did a little googling and came up w/ Jack Thompson - check the link - his filmography is indeed impressive; I've probably seen a dozen films on the list and own a couple, such as The Man From Snowy River - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.09.15 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh Dave you are too good. Jack in *** dotage, he is a year younger than me, has become an environmentalist big time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guess I missed that clue.;)

- Nick

Ahh Dave you are too good. Jack in *** dotage, he is a year younger than me, has become an environmentalist big time.

Well, a good guess, me thinks! ;) BTW, wife & I watch few films together (just different likes & tastes), but one is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil which is based on a true murder story that occurred in Savannah, Georgia, a city we've been visiting for 40 years or so (just a 5-hr drive) - love the town and birthplace of a favorite lyricist of ours, i.e. Johnny Mercer - BUT, Jack Thompson played the lawyer, Sonny Seiler - both Thompson & Kevin Spacey had great 'southern' accents - Aussie actors are excellent w/ American accents (another example is Hugh Jackman in the stage production of Oklahoma where he is Curly, the Okie cowboy). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 4.38.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol if you saw Jack today Dave you would not recognise him. His hard, hard life and two lady friends have taken a huge toll on him but he would not change anything. For me his best role was as the lawyer in Breaker Morant.

Must get a pic and post it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and two lady friends...

There are certainly worse ways to put a lot of miles on the engine!;)

- Nick

p.s. Since the OP has not replied to the thread (1 post)...maybe we need to change the name of the thread to (Miscellaneous)...and move it to Schweb's Lounge.;)

OP
J
Reaction score
No offense guys but what does this off topic stuff have to do with my MacBook Pro possibly having water damage? I wish I could take it apart and take a picture of the insides but I'm afraid to as I'm not sure what I would be looking for or how to fix anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.