Any suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any suggestions?

Well...my first suggestion would be not to drop a laptop computer on the floor.

Beyond this...there really isn't much info provided to make any guess's. Is the computer doing anything when you try to turn it on?

My initial guess is something related to the display has been damaged. Or if you're lucky...maybe something only got dislodged/disconnected during the drop. But this cannot be determined unless the computer is opened up & examined.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
thank you Nick

Sorry, there's no sound, no lights, nothing at all :/ I've put it on charge for the night and will see in the morning. Dropping laptop on the floor is definitely not a good move (kids don't try this at home).
I may try ram a cd in there tomorrow and see if it bites. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One of the problems with newer MacBook Air's is everything is "solid state". Meaning since they don't have a mechanical hard drive in them...it's really hard to know when they are even on (without anything on the display)...since they are totally silent.

Like I mentioned...if you're really lucky...maybe a cable got disconnected in the fall. But this cannot be determined until the laptop is opened up.

You could try shining a flashlight at a really sharp angle (in a darkened room) at the display...and see if you can see anything.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Still under warranty by chance or does your employer insure against accidents?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Nick and Harry, even though the battery wasnt flat, I had it on charge over night, turned it on in the morning and all was well (so far so good!) I have been very lucky. Yes employer has insurance, I was just worried about loss of work etc. Have recently backed up :)
Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
the battery might have been fall off . my macbook is also like that after dropping. try position the screen like it is a keyboard.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I advise you get it checked while it is still covered. The problem may reoccur at any time although it does sound like something was just dislodged.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI. 2.5 year-old thread.;) I'm guessing the OP has found a solution by now.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.