Safari memory hog, hanging, dead downloads

Reaction score
I know this is at least partly due to the way Mac memory allocation works, but even so Safaris does seem to really ramp up the memory hogging. Once I've been running it for a while, with a few tabs open, it can get up to 350, 375MB. It then nearly always eventually hangs, requiring a Force Quit.

The worst thing about this is that any downloads then get killed. Is there a way to start these downloads up again or do I have to start over?

Cheers
JC

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know this is at least partly due to the way Mac memory allocation works, but even so Safaris does seem to really ramp up the memory hogging. Once I've been running it for a while, with a few tabs open, it can get up to 350, 375MB. It then nearly always eventually hangs, requiring a Force Quit.

The worst thing about this is that any downloads then get killed. Is there a way to start these downloads up again or do I have to start over?

Cheers
JC

After hours of surfing sometimes the memory usage does climb up there but even having it open a month or more 24 hours a day here does not make it lock. When you re-open it click on Window and Downloads. See if the download is listed there. If so it should have a restart or resume symbol if I remember right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Partial downloads create a live file on the desktop. Double clicking the file should resume the download...

Safari works amazingly on my end. Are you running the Safari 3 BETA?

Reaction score
I'm running 3 Beta and I am having similar problems with it.
I had problems with 2.0 also.

Is there anyway that I can go back to 2.0.

I don't think this will work though because, as I said I was having problems with 2.0 also.

I'm using Firefox at the moment and its just not as nice on the Mac.

Camino seems to be a pain -- I downloaded it, used it for an hour and then uninstalled it. I really didn't like it. Do any of you use it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
To uninstall Safari 3, just mount the Safari 3 install disk image and open the uninstall package.

As for browsers, have you tried opera? I have all the browsers including Omniweb, opera, camino since I need to chek my sites. Safari is the best. next comes omniweb...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use Camino as a backup to Safari for the few sites Safari has issues with. I have Opera also just in case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.