upgrade iMac from 10.5.8

Reaction score
My iMac currently runs Leopard 10.5.8. Can I upgrade the operating system?

Here are the specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.44f0
Serial Number (system): QP92321D8TT
Hardware UUID: 7F544B9B-F8AC-52DA-8D14-

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You should be able to run Mountain Lion just fine on that machine. I am currently running it on a 2008 MacBook Pro with the Core2Duo Processor. There are a few things you need to know:

1.In order to download Mountain Lion you will need to upgrade to OS 10.6 Snow Leopard to get access to the Mac App Store.

2. After upgrading to Snow Leopard you can download and install Mountain Lion from the App store.

3. if you are still running Power PC software that software will work under Snow Leopard but not under Lion or Mountain. That software would need to be upgraded / replaced with other software.

Loss of data is unlikely during this process but I strongly suggest making a backup of anything "mission critical".

OP
S
Reaction score
You should be able to run Mountain Lion just fine on that machine. I am currently running it on a 2008 MacBook Pro with the Core2Duo Processor. There are a few things you need to know:

1.In order to download Mountain Lion you will need to upgrade to OS 10.6 Snow Leopard to get access to the Mac App Store.

2. After upgrading to Snow Leopard you can download and install Mountain Lion from the App store.

3. if you are still running Power PC software that software will work under Snow Leopard but not under Lion or Mountain. That software would need to be upgraded / replaced with other software.

Loss of data is unlikely during this process but I strongly suggest making a backup of anything "mission critical".

Thanks, Slydude!! A quick question that you or others might know the answer to. Mac OS X 10.6 requires, among a few other things that I do have, a DVD drive for installation. A really embarrassing question: how do I connect a DVD drive? Is it through a USB port? I do not have one but I assume I can borrow one. My iMac is from 2009.

Thanks!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck. Let us know if you have any problems.

BTW Mountain Lion runs fine on 4 GB of ram. Depending upon how many apps you have open and what your usage is additional memory is nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.