• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MacBook Pro refresh with SSD, Light Peak & no DVD in April 2011?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I wouldn't really consider it a Pro if it didn't have a Superdrive. >_>"

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I know the article said you may still choose to have an optical drive; however, I have mixed feeling about losing it. I really only use mine for movies, but I use it a lot for watching movies, while I'm doing other things in the forefront. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever purchased any software on disc for any of my Macs.

A clean fast arrival of Light Peak is definitely welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I could care less about losing the DVD drive on the machine itself, I rarely ever use it. I would love to see Apple offer an external lightpeak compat DVD or BR drive that you could purchase as an add-on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I, too, could care less about the super drive, in fact, I just took mine out and swapped it with an SSD! Now it's more "pro" than ever!
Though, it doesn't make sense to lose the optical drive, when they can replace the hd for an ssd. What's the real reason? 2 cheap ssd's instead of one big one? It has to be that their changing the shape(I'm thinking thinner?)

Can't wait to see if they change the looks of them.

"the new MacBook Pro will also apparently lose its optical drive, and gain a new version of Final Cut Pro that will also debut in April 2011"
Does that mean it will come loaded with Final Cut Pro?? If so, THAT'S SWEET!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
No, thanks!

I use my optical drive for ripping and burning CDs very regularly. I make many 5 hour trips, and always want new music. Don't want to have to play with the ipod every time I want to change albums or tracks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, thanks!

I use my optical drive for ripping and burning CDs very regularly. I make many 5 hour trips, and always want new music. Don't want to have to play with the ipod every time I want to change albums or tracks.

That's why I think it should be optional.

I would rather have a lighter machine without the cost of the drive since I rarely ever need it. Other people probably have a need.

But I would argue that optical media really belongs in a desktop machine, not in a portable in the long-term.

Reaction score
I do occasional disk burning of some Linux distributions, and occasional music. I haven't used my Mac mini since May of this year because my MacBook became my primary Mac computer. I'd rather have the disc drive built in to the computer rather than have to carry around an external model that requires two USB ports to work properly.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I could care less about losing the DVD drive on the machine itself, I rarely ever use it. I would love to see Apple offer an external lightpeak compat DVD or BR drive that you could purchase as an add-on.

That sounds like a great idea, losing the optical drive on a laptop and investing in a external option for the household. One might save money or come out even, depending on what options you'd exclude or include in place of the DVD drive from the next computer purchase. I think it's been a decade, since I've seen anyone in my family purchase software on a disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Did some of you guys even read the article? It clearly stated that the base model would come with a superdrive.
Also, why do you need 2 usb's to be plugged in? Mine works fine on 1.

Reaction score
Did some of you guys even read the article? It clearly stated that the base model would come with a superdrive.

I have an LG external drive. It's a laptop-based pop out disc tray (non-motorized). It requires two USB ports- one to power it, one to retrieve/receive data from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have an LG external drive. It's a laptop-based pop out disc tray (non-motorized). It requires two USB ports- one to power it, one to retrieve/receive data from.

ohh, gotchya!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Of course this is all complete speculation, so we'll have to see what ends up happening when Apple announces the new models, whenever they do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If it was a lightpeak external drive, it wouldn't require more than one connection and it would be chainable.

Reaction score
If it was a lightpeak external drive, it wouldn't require more than one connection and it would be chainable.

I realize that. And I wish it were to connect with something different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Well then, looks like I'm not looking forward to this new update. Also though, the main concern from Intel was to allow support of the Light Peak with its peripherals...which makes sense for apple to include it as soon as possible, even before Intel's claims, just so they can have it first. That wouldn't be a first for apple, you know. Wasn't apple the first company to test light peak on an actual, consumer mac? That's more reason for apple to design their computers around it, assuming they want to incorporate it that badly.

In my opinion, Apple will be the first computer company to use light peak, which kind of doesn't make sense according to Intel's statement, that stated they are waiting till 2012 for "builders" to have complete systems. It doesn't mean a sole company can't have it. It just means it won't be available to every company until then.

Does that make sense, or am I over thinking this? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I still use the optical drive to rip my music in lossless and make picture disks along with
movies from a camcorder so I hope the option still exists.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.