What Is My Cheapest Way to Get Win 7 on New 13" MBP?

Reaction score
I would appreciate your advice re. the subject question made up of the following sub-questions and the given constraints for my brand-new MBP I just received:

1. I just installed the latest Parallels software.
2. I do have an XP disc I had used on my previous (stolen) MBP, but I have no other Windows software.
3. Ultimately I wish to have Windows 7 capability on my MBP.
4. Should I even consider installing XP?
5. Should I purchase a full version of Windows 7 or can I use Windows 7 Upgrade and do a Custom Install?
6. Are there any other points to consider?

Thank you in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you were looking for the cheapest way to get Windows 7 on your MBP...you already unnecessarily increased the cost by purchasing Parallels. Parallels is a good program...but you could have installed Windows 7 via 'Bootcamp" for free.

The absolute cheapest way to get Windows 7 on your MBP is to buy Windows 7 & install it via Bootcamp.

That's it!:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick, for your comment which I understand.

I want to use Parallels to avoid rebooting.

That leaves me in a quandary re. points 4. and 5. of my original post. I am completely unclear about the in's and out's of Windows Full Version, Upgrade, XP, and Clean Install as it pertains to my situation. I have read several comments/articles on this, but I have not found any understandable info that makes sense for my case. Obviously I don't want to buy the Windows 7 Full Version if the Upgrade Version is sufficient and will work, and is that with or without first installing XP.

Any clarification will be appreciated.

Ugie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to use Parallels to avoid rebooting.

That leaves me in a quandary re. points 4. and 5. of my original post. I am completely unclear about the in's and out's of Windows Full Version, Upgrade, XP, and Clean Install as it pertains to my situation. I have read several comments/articles on this, but I have not found any understandable info that makes sense for my case. Obviously I don't want to buy the Windows 7 Full Version if the Upgrade Version is sufficient and will work, and is that with or without first installing XP.

Any clarification will be appreciated.

Ugie

I hate to say it...but given your questions, your thread title is really not accurate.

"What Is My Cheapest Way to Get Win 7 on New 13" MBP?"

Seems to me since your asking questions about "XP"...that this threads title would be better stated as..."Which Windows Version is Best for Me?"

Ok so enough of that...not trying to give you a hard time!:)

As far as Parallels...I completely understand not wanting to reboot...it' just that the cost of purchasing Parallels isn't consistent with the thread title. It basically sounds like the biggest confusion or question is what version of Windows to install...and possibly purchase.

As far as Windows XP or Windows 7:

- I don't think that you can use the upgrade version if you don't have a previous version already installed.
- What Windows software do you want to install now & in the future. Will XP meet the requirements for all newer software packages you may want to install?
- Since your talking about "least expensive"...obviously using the Windows XP disk you already have would be the least expensive way to get Windows on your Mac.
- If you install Windows XP with the XP install Disk you have...then I would think that a Windows 7 upgrade version would install ok. Assuming that your install key for XP works (considering that this install key was used for XP on your previous stolen MBP).

Not sure if this answers everything...but hopefully it helps,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out that communications is very often a challenge. Indeed my thread title may not be accurate, but your suggested title reflects my failure in clearly phrasing my set of questions.

I'll try again, a little differently. – For MY case, given the aforementioned situation and ultimate goal of having Windows 7 on my MBP, I was hoping to ascertain whether I can get by with purchasing the Windows 7 Upgrade Version.

I know that I could use the XP in the interim, but I was not anxious to install it if that's not a prerequisite for using the Windows 7 Upgrade - and then how would I delete the XP later. Some of what I had read about Clean Install using the Upgrade implied that it would be extra simple, because I have no other installed Windows software and drivers to worry about.

You addressed this "mess" as part of your reply, and I thank you for that. Had you dismissed the Clean Install using the Upgrade without XP preinstalled as unworkable?

Thanks again.

Ugie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For MY case, given the aforementioned situation and ultimate goal of having Windows 7 on my MBP, I was hoping to ascertain whether I can get by with purchasing the Windows 7 Upgrade Version.

I know that I could use the XP in the interim, but I was not anxious to install it if that's not a prerequisite for using the Windows 7 Upgrade - and then how would I delete the XP later. Some of what I had read about Clean Install using the Upgrade implied that it would be extra simple, because I have no other installed Windows software and drivers to worry about.

Here's an article regarding using Windows 7 upgrade:

Windows 7 upgrade version: The dos and don'ts | Beyond Binary - CNET News

It starts out by saying that: "The upgrade version of Windows 7 (as opposed to the higher-price full version) lets one move from any properly licensed version of Windows XP or Windows Vista to Windows 7 on that same computer."

...which seems simple enough. But then as you read the rest of the article it gets more complicated. Then the article goes on to say:

"if you don't have any previously installed Windows on the machine, you will want to get yourself a full copy of Windows 7.

Most of my experience on my MacBook Pro is using Parallels & installing Windows XP. Since I have a valid version of Windows XP installed...I would fully expect to be able to upgrade to Windows 7 (if I ever needed to) using the Windows 7 upgrade package (not the full install).

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. If cost is really the primary issue in this thread (upgrade vs. full version)...here's what I believe is a full version of Windows 7 Home Premium for $109 bucks:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0318878

...that's not too bad for a full install for Windows 7.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As Nickj suggests just go with Windows 7, and that is a great price from the link. There are many problems trying to upgrade XP to Windows 7, with many technicians saying it is quite impossible. Have a look at this link on that very subject:-

Five Things You Should Know About Upgrading From XP to Windows 7 - PCWorld Business Center

Harry,

Thanks a lot for that link you provided. Very interesting. Gives me some things to think about if I decide to upgrade to Windows 7.

- Nick

Reaction score
Also, with respect to Parallels, remember that VirtualBox is a free download from Sun. It will be cheaper and will run Win7 in a virtual machine just like Parallels or Fusion. That will be cheaper still. not quite as full-featured as Parallels or Fusion, but works very well nonetheless. I recommend downloading the free trials of Fusion, Parallels and the full free version of VirtualBox, and trying all three before deciding whether to spend the $$ for Fusion or Parallels.

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, with respect to Parallels, remember that VirtualBox is a free download from Sun. It will be cheaper and will run Win7 in a virtual machine just like Parallels or Fusion. That will be cheaper still. not quite as full-featured as Parallels or Fusion, but works very well nonetheless. I recommend downloading the free trials of Fusion, Parallels and the full free version of VirtualBox, and trying all three before deciding whether to spend the $$ for Fusion or Parallels.

Cheers

I think that the OP has already purchased & installed Parallels...as mentioned in their initial post in this thread.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.