Which OS 9 for OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Intel Al duo core 2.4G -- 4G RAM
I searched and could not find the info I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My wife wants to run Quark (an OS 9 version as it was given to here) at home on my G4 Flat Panel 1.25. My OS X install disk does not have Classic on it. Which version of OS 9 should I get (plenty on ebay - not sure which one I need)? Currently I have OS X 10.4.3. I am assuming I am looking for an OS 9 CD (or set of CD's)?:Confused:

We need this ASAP as she uses the home computer to do our school's newspaper (yes - got them to switch to mac's!);) .

Thanks,
Lee

Reaction score
I does not matter which version, as you can update to a . point update later.
Ideally you can set up a new partition and install OS 9 on the new partition and ual boot it with the existing OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You probably have everything needed to support Classic on one of the disks that came with your Mac. It may be on an "Install disk 2."

OP
lbrewer42
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a mac 800 Flat panel from ebay that had its software removed. I ordered OS X Tiger when it came out and got an install DVD. After putting in Tiger, the 800 worked fine with Classic.

I got a 1.25 Flat panel with Panther on it - installed Tiger from the aforementioned DVD and it does not support Classic as it will not load anything for OS 9.

As far as putting it ona new partition - I would ather just have it run the Classic environment than have to choose a boot partition on every startup.

Thanks for the help.
Lee

I checked over the DVD - using some of the "For Dummies" books and other tech books and have determined that my DVD does not have OS 9 support (at least that I can find!).

Thanks for the tips.

OP
lbrewer42
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have searched (thotoughly) the Tiger DVD I used to install with. There is no OS 9 on it (or support for that matter). The mac I bought the DVD for was a flat panel 800 (an ebay bargain) that had had its software partially removed by an active 2 years old. Evidently the 800 already had classic support on it as, when Tiger was installed, the 800 would run Classic with Quark Express (an OS 9 version).

I then got a 1.25 Flat panel (a REAL bargain on ebay). It had Panther on it. I used the same DVD to install Tiger. There was/is still no Classic support.

I could not find classic support on the DVD (but I did install X11 etc.).

Thanks for the info,
Lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Your pretty much just looking for an OS 9.0 CD. It should only be one. OS 9 isn't proprietary to any one machine so long as it's PowerPC based. I use an Imac OS 9 install CD on all my G-series computers for instance.
After you get it you will have to download the updates to get it to 9.2.2 which was the last version of OS 9. The updates are free and still online at apple.com.

Here is one at amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002JX1Y/?tag=macforums0e4-20

And heres one thats exactly like mine on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-OS-9-2-Full...ryZ80257QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However I paid about $50 for mine used about 2 years ago. You will have to do a separate partition on your Hard Drive in order to run OS 9 effectively. Classic mode is pretty limited compared to the real thing . Hope all this helps. If you have any more questions just ask!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I know it's expensive, but I would really recommend getting hold of Quark 6, or even better version 7.

Using an old Quark version on OS 9 is not a pleasant experience.

OP
lbrewer42
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the info. If I was a serious Quark user - I'd update. The simple job my wife needs to do each month is not worth getting a newer version.

thanks for taking the time to find an exact version on ebay also. 7 hours from now I will know if I need to try ebay again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
Has she ever thought of making a newsletter from iWork 6's "Pages" - You can make some really nice documents from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
No problem. Hope everything works out great.

OP
lbrewer42
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could someone point me to a short and simple tutorial for installing the OS 9 I got from ebay (macOs9user!) onto my 1.25 G4 Flat Panel?

Thanks,
lee

Reaction score
Has she ever thought of making a newsletter from iWork 6's "Pages" - You can make some really nice documents from there.

Unless she specifically needs the file to be in the quark format, I agree 100% Pages will be a much better experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Could someone point me to a short and simple tutorial for installing the OS 9 I got from ebay (macOs9user!) onto my 1.25 G4 Flat Panel?

Thanks,
lee

Boot from OS9 CD/DVD and install. It won't mess with OSX and OSX won't mess with it. You cans safely install on the same drive and same partition or you can install on a separate drive or partition as long as it is a bootable drive.

For those looking for OS9 on their OSX DVDs, you won't find it. Every computer I have purchased that came with OSX/OS9 has a separate OS9 install CD. You need one of those. They are hard to miss, they're white with a big orange "9" on the front.

OP
lbrewer42
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,
I got the OS 9 disk awhile ago. When I try to boot from it (holding down during reboot), the screen gives me a pic of a small mac computer with a question mark on the screen. Any ideas?

It then takes its time spinning the disc and finally boots in OSX. I know that there need be a system folder in the main directory of the HD. Is there a way I can install OS9 without using the installation program on the OS 9 CD?

Lee

Reaction score
You should be able to install OS 9 onto the same disk that has OS X on it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

You should make every effort to back up all your OS X data then reformat the disk into at least two partitions, one for OS 9 and one for OS X. Doing so will allow you to run third-party OS 9 repair programs, such as Norton Disk Doctor and Disk Warrior for OS 9. It's a gold-plated certainty you'll need one or both when OS 9 takes a dive, and it will. But you can't fix OS 9 with either of those repair apps when OS X is on the same partition. The repair apps will destroy OS X.

I have a G4 running 9 and X, and I kept 9 because I, too, am running QuarkXpress for 9 — two versions, 3.2 and 4.1. But the disk is partitioned into three, so I can fix my main 9 partition with the repair apps residing on the other, small, 9 partition. All three partitions are bootable.

When everything is working properly, and whether you partition your drive or not, you should be able to choose the startup system from the Startup Disk control panel in OS 9 and its equivalent in X. Or you can hold down the Option key when starting the machine until a choice of systems appears on the screen. You need 9.1 because it can be updated to 9.2.2, needed for integration with X. Photoshop 7, for instance, will run on 9 if it's loaded onto X, and will run in X if it's loaded onto the 9 partition.

I've tried to run Quark through System X's Classic mode, but it's awful. Pages won't redraw properly, the cursor disappears, type and picture boxes don't show up until the page is window-shaded then opened again, and even Quark's libraries cause problems. There are a couple of free Quark extensions available that mitigate these problems, but neither work very well. That's why I run OS 9 when I need Quark.

Edited to add: Once you have 9 installed, you don't need the install disk. You can back it all up (all 9's guts are in the System folder) to a DVD or whatever, and never look at the install disk again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 C2D 10.4.10
Can I install OS 9 on an imac G3 I got off of ebay? (450 mhz) w/DVD. I think have a OS 9 disc that came with my Quicksilver G4.

Reaction score
Probably. You can't lose anything by trying. But read the potential problems two posts up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 C2D 10.4.10
installed OS 9.2.1 on my 450mz iMac DV. I can't eject the disc because it says the system is running from the disc. Any ideas? Can I just install OS X 10.3 or will there be problems?

Reaction score
Restart the machine while holding down the left button on the mouse. According to the "rules," that's supposed to eject a stuck disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.