iPad 2.0??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
When do you think we are likely to see the new iPads unveiled? Do you think it will be 1st or 2nd qtr. of 2011 or later?

Reaction score
I have heard April '11 somewhere on the net but no one really knows, I asked in my local Apple store and they had no idea when it will be released. I would love to know, waiting to buy one but really feel I should wait until the new one comes out which I hope will have the improved retina display and FaceTime.

This site

New iPad (iPad 2) to Come Late This Year with FaceTime Support [Apple Rumored to Release Next-gen iPad Earlier Than Expected, by Christmas 2010] TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities

Seems to think that it will be December this year however I can't see this happening. So long as it is released by March 2011 I will be happy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
There is only one person who knows when it will be released and what features it will have, and he's not talking!

steve-jobs-3g-iphone1.jpg

C

chas_m

If you want an iPad, buy an iPad.

If you want to wait, you may be waiting quite a long time. Or maybe not. Nobody knows.

Trying to stay more than a week or so "ahead of the curve" is, IMHO, a fool's errand. You buy the best you can afford when you need it, and then enjoy it for a few years, and then buy the next great thing that's out at the time you need something.

Reaction score
I have decided to wait because I want FaceTime with it and the higher quality display. Not going to buy anything till March so hopefully Steve will have released the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have decided to wait because I want FaceTime with it and the higher quality display. Not going to buy anything till March so hopefully Steve will have released the new one.

I'm sure Steve is building it in his basement right now.

C

chas_m

So what happens if the new one comes out and doesn't have one or more of those features? What will you do then?

C

chas_m

FWIW, signs are increasingly pointing to spring for the next iPad. If I had the time to chase down the good deals, I would buy a used iPad NOW, enjoy it for five months, then sell it for most of what I paid for it and buy a new one in spring.

Reaction score
This is what I always dread about buying new tech. I finally break down to buy something and then an even better version of it comes out a month later. But if I don't have an ipad now, will I really know what I'm missing out when 2.0 comes out in a few months? What are the biggest things you all are waiting on besides a camera?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually don't care about a camera, I'd actually prefer a version without to save money.

I'm looking forward to a thinner and definitely lighter version, and a better display.

C

chas_m

I'm looking forward to a thinner and definitely lighter version, and a better display.

You'll probably get all that ... in 2012 or 2013.

There's almost no chance of any of those things happening this spring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll probably get all that ... in 2012 or 2013.

There's almost no chance of any of those things happening this spring.

We'll see when they announce the new version.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd like to see a lighter version, but not at the expense of battery life. Don't see it happening unless they've got some new battery technology up their sleeve.

Could care less about a freaking camera. No body wants to look at me.
And there haven't been any hot chicks calling me in years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd like to see a lighter version, but not at the expense of battery life. Don't see it happening unless they've got some new battery technology up their sleeve.

I think it will be more related to new case materials and maybe thinner glass (?) that will make it lighter. There's all the rumors out there about Apple investigating carbon fiber to lighten the iPad.

C

chas_m

We'll see when they announce the new version.

Well yes of course. And I certainly could be wrong, but I find that a lot of people have *SERIOUSLY* unrealistic ideas about how long it takes to develop a new technology, particularly if that technology is being associated with any Apple product (even if it's neither made nor invented by Apple).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well yes of course. And I certainly could be wrong, but I find that a lot of people have *SERIOUSLY* unrealistic ideas about how long it takes to develop a new technology, particularly if that technology is being associated with any Apple product (even if it's neither made nor invented by Apple).

Considering Apple completely redesigned the iPhone case pretty quickly between initial release and 3G and even the iPhone 4 redesign is pretty quick by design standards, I see no reason they couldn't quickly develop a new case design for the iPad that's lighter. For all we know, they were working on it before the iPad was even released. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.