browser hassle

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac, so excuse my lack of Mac terminology or knowledge. I have recently installed Google Chrome and am enjoying it, but one thing that is odd, is that every time I click the icon on my dock, it pops up the window from when I installed it (the one where it shows the Chrome icon and the applications folder for me to drag it into) in addition to the browser window. It only does this in my profile. In my wifes profile it only opens the browser window. It's just a slight annoyance, but one that I'd like to eliminate and know why it happened...did I attempt to install Chrome twice? or?

Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How exactly did you install Chrome? You should've downloaded the DMG file from Google and opened that, and from there you should've copied the Chrome application to your Applications folder (for all accounts) and then you can drag Chrome from the Applications folder to your Dock to make it stick there..

Regards

OP
C
Reaction score
That sounds like what I did, but it was the first day with the new toy, so I may not have realized it was installed and added a step or two...tough to say really.

I have tried to drag this box/window to the trash, but it won't allow me to. Is there another way for me to only dispose of this window, while keeping my existing Chrome untouched?

OP
C
Reaction score
It's actually the Finder window that opens along with the browser. ANy ideas how I can fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I have recently installed Google Chrome and am enjoying it, but one thing that is odd, is that every time I click the icon on my dock, it pops up the window from when I installed it (the one where it shows the Chrome icon and the applications folder for me to drag it into) in addition to the browser window.
It's actually the Finder window that opens along with the browser. ANy ideas how I can fix this?
It's looks like you didn't actually install Chrome properly. The confusing thing is that you can actually run applications from the "installer" file you downloaded. The reason is that Mac applications are basically self-contained so all you really do is copy the application over to your applications folder in order to properly "install" them.

So bring up that Finder folder again (the one where it shows the Chrome icon and the applications folder for you to drag it into) and then drag the Chrome icon off the dock. Now drag the Chrome icon in Finder into your Applications folder to install. Double click the Chrome icon in your Applications folder and it will open up Chrome and also show it in the Dock. Now you can move the Chrome Dock icon wherever you want it or the other way is to drag the icon from your Applications folder to the Dock.

What you shouldn't do is drag the icon from the first Finder window into the Dock because that's not installing the application. That creates a shortcut to the installer and remember you can use the program from the installer. You probably did this the first time. FYI dragging anything to the Dock just creates a shortcut for it so it seems you just made a shortcut to the installer and not the actual program in your Applications folder.

To keep yourself from being confused in the future just remember that you should always copy/drag every new application to your applications folder in order to "install" it properly. From there you can either just double click the icon to open the application or drag its icon to the Dock to make a shortcut.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That sounds like what I did, but it was the first day with the new toy, so I may not have realized it was installed and added a step or two...tough to say really.

I have tried to drag this box/window to the trash, but it won't allow me to. Is there another way for me to only dispose of this window, while keeping my existing Chrome untouched?

The reason why it wont let you delete the file is because it's in use. Which means that you only opened the google chrome browser from the dmg and didn't actually install it.

OP
C
Reaction score
It's looks like you didn't actually install Chrome properly. The confusing thing is that you can actually run applications from the "installer" file you downloaded. The reason is that Mac applications are basically self-contained so all you really do is copy the application over to your applications folder in order to properly "install" them.

So bring up that Finder folder again (the one where it shows the Chrome icon and the applications folder for you to drag it into) and then drag the Chrome icon off the dock. Now drag the Chrome icon in Finder into your Applications folder to install. Double click the Chrome icon in your Applications folder and it will open up Chrome and also show it in the Dock. Now you can move the Chrome Dock icon wherever you want it or the other way is to drag the icon from your Applications folder to the Dock.

What you shouldn't do is drag the icon from the first Finder window into the Dock because that's not installing the application. That creates a shortcut to the installer and remember you can use the program from the installer. You probably did this the first time. FYI dragging anything to the Dock just creates a shortcut for it so it seems you just made a shortcut to the installer and not the actual program in your Applications folder.

To keep yourself from being confused in the future just remember that you should always copy/drag every new application to your applications folder in order to "install" it properly. From there you can either just double click the icon to open the application or drag its icon to the Dock to make a shortcut.

Worked like a charm! Thanks very much for your detailed instructions!

-Craig

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.