HOW do U keep yr iMac White Keyboard CLEAN ?

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Not a major issue here, but I love my wireless and even the wired Mac keyboards with their large keys etc and the look etc

BUT - Mine get very dirty easily and regularly need cleaning...
I'm careful not to use too-wet a tissue to help lift the dirt residue as I don't want to lose a key's use - somehow my number '4' on one has stopped functioning !
Interested what you guys use - is there a proprietary cleaner available - no doubt at a rip-off price.
Think I'll stick to good old tap-water !:|

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You could always get a keyboard cover?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
White Macbook:

Wet Ones (baby wipes)... I allow them to dry out until they are just a little moist.
Works a charm for me, and costs next to nothing for the home brand version.

For the gaps between the keys I get a glass of warm water with a drop of dish washing liquid, dip cotton buds in there, ring out any excess water, and clean away.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
You could always get a keyboard cover?
Yes - I tried that one...

Sadly - as it wasn't transparent - I kept making loads of mistakes as I typed...

In some ways I prefer the black keys on the MBP's..!
For obvious reasons:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
+1 for clean hands

But I use a 'only just wet' magic sponge

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yupp...another vote for washing the hands. Amazing how much dirt accumulates on the fingertips.

But when I do need to clean the keys I try warm water on a damp paper towel first...being careful not to use the paper towel too long. Otherwise the paper towel starts to deteriorate (depends on the quality of the paper towel)...and you get the little pieces of paper that could jam things up. I find the texture/friction/abrasiveness of a paper towel to be just right for cleaning light dirt off the keys.

If water alone doesn't get the job done...then I use a little glass cleaner with the paper towel...and ALWAYS followup immediately with a damp paper towel rinse to remove any residual cleaner.

And of course when cleaning the keys on a laptop...ALWAYS use a damp paper towel or sponge. If you can "wring" it & get water droplets to come out...it's too wet! Don't want liquid getting into the laptop...otherwise a 2nd thread will be posted..."Was cleaning my laptop keyboard, now it won't startup!";)

- Nick

Reaction score
Yupp...another vote for washing the hands. Amazing how much dirt accumulates on the fingertips.

- Nick

Grease / oil too, which is why I always wash my hands before looking at loose photo's.

I find my white keyboard is also kept clean by wiping, reasonable pressure, with a dry duster, with power off on the iMac.
Occasionally I spray a little furniture polish onto a duster, and wipe across, power off too.

And since I started using a rubberised mouse mat for my optical mouse, since changing computer desk for a white one, the underside raised lip doesn't collect fluff anymore, self cleaning on the mat.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

But when I do need to clean the keys I try warm water on a damp paper towel first...being careful not to use the paper towel too long. Otherwise the paper towel starts to deteriorate (depends on the quality of the paper towel)...and you get the little pieces of paper that could jam things up. I find the texture/friction/abrasiveness of a paper towel to be just right for cleaning light dirt off the keys.

If water alone doesn't get the job done...then I use a little glass cleaner with the paper towel...and ALWAYS followup immediately with a damp paper towel rinse to remove any residual cleaner.

And of course when cleaning the keys on a laptop...ALWAYS use a damp paper towel or sponge. If you can "wring" it & get water droplets to come out...it's too wet! Don't want liquid getting into the laptop...otherwise a 2nd thread will be posted..."Was cleaning my laptop keyboard, now it won't startup!";)

- Nick

Can't say we haven't seen these threads already. >_>"

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolutely !

Using your keyboard - as an ashtray ?:Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.