Duplicate applications

Reaction score
I have installed OS X Lion on my MacBook Pro. I had previously organized my Applications into many different sub-folders. As I found on Apple Support page (OS X Lion: About duplicate icons in Launchpad) this could generate duplicate entries on the Launchpad (by the way, I still don't see the benefits of launchpad over the Applications folder on the docks).

However, I now have a lot of duplicates on my Applications folder and I can't get rid of them (e.g. TextEdit, Address Book, Stickies, Dictionary, etc...).

Any suggestions to fix this? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free Launchpad Control application which can be used to remove those icons that are not desired.

Keeping applications by type in folders is OK in theory, however, it can lead to problems with updating (especially with MAS apps) and as you can now see, also with the new Launchpad. I recommend removing the folders and just keep all your apps in the standard Applications folder.

C

chas_m

Dang! You know, I've been trying to figure out how I might use Launchpad since I initially didn't see any use for it, but this is exactly how I might take advantage of it. Thanks very much for this post, you guys, you opened my eyes to new possibilities (I love that!).

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, this definitely helped me to clean up the launchpad. I had tried already to remove the applications from the folders, but I can't simply move them around. Either the system creates a copy in the folder or sub-folder, or it simply returns me a message: "The item "Address Book" can't be moved because "Utilities" can't be modified." or "Terminal can't be modified or deleted because it's required by Mac OS X". So, I still have one "Terminal" on the Applications root folder and another one on the "Applications/Utilities" sub-folder.

I tried all the tricks I know and a few more that I found on the web, but still the problem is there. Should I just re-install Lion?

18d2j3iw4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you created the folders and sub folders for your applications and then moved them into whatever folder you designated, did you copy the application and place it in its respective folder or did you move it?

It almost sounds like you may have actually copied the applications to the folders instead of moving them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you moved the applications rather than copying them, I'm not sure I understand why you're seeing this behavior.

I just tried what you stated in your previous message (move an application to another folder and then move it back) and it did not create a duplicate nor was there any other obstacle to the move. Are you sure you moved them rather than copying?

If they were in fact moved then there's something else going on with your system.

OP
T
Reaction score
Maybe I was not clear enough on my first mail :)

I moved the applications around before I installed Lion. When I did install it, that's when I got the duplicate applications, so that's when the problem started. :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Maybe I was not clear enough on my first mail :)

I moved the applications around before I installed Lion. When I did install it, that's when I got the duplicate applications, so that's when the problem started. :-(

So you now have two sets of applications rather than "duplicates". You have the Snow Leopard versions in the locations you moved the files to, and the Lion versions in their intended locations. Your best bet is to delete any of the applications you moved, as they will be the older versions, leaving the newer copies installed by Lion intact.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Member "dmccloud" has it right. And after reading your post above about moving the Apps before installing Lion, I agree with him that you actually have two sets of Apps not copies. That makes more sense. Do what "dmccloud" suggested if in fact it lets you delete the older Apps. Let us know.

OP
T
Reaction score
:) Yeap, that's it. Duplicates or sets... My problem with english. Anyway, I did try already to delete the old versions, but the system does not allow me to. It says that OS X needs them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only suggestion I have for now is to do a clean install of Lion. Make sure, however, that you backup things like your photos, music, documents, email, and so forth.

If you need assistance in doing a clean install, post back and we'll try to walk you through it.

Reaction score
I had the exact problem as the OP. Snow leopard. Setup subfolders in my Applications directory and moved the apps into those folders. Now after OSX lion upgrade I have duplicate sets of apps. I cannot clean up the old apps because I get the error "FOO can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X."

Annoying. Still looking for solution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you read what I suggested to the original writer of this thread? The same thing applies to you.

What you and he did reiterates the warning about letting applications remain where they install to. Mac OS X is not Windows. Applications are organized into the Applications folder for a reason. Leave them alone.

Reaction score
@chscag. thanks for the reply. while a clean re-install of lion is certainly an option, for the minor annoyance this problem causes, i'm going to keep searching for something that doen't require me to wipe and have to re-setup my development environment.

windows?!?....what is that. havent used that in over 5 years. from what i could see, the applications in the applications folder were not organized at all.

cheers!
-g

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck in finding another solution. If you do, please post it here so all can benefit from it. By organizing I meant all in one place. Actually, reinstalling will not take you long to accomplish provided you have a good Time Machine backup. Maybe a 30 minute job....

OP
T
Reaction score
I agree with gman16000, there were no organization whatsoever and it definitely doesn't worth the effort to reinstall everything back again. Maybe now I find a use for the new Launchpad.

PS - This kind of... I don't know how to call them... "bugs"? start looking to me very much like windows. It doesn't make sense to allow a re-organization of the applications folder and then have problems as this one. Anyway, M$ Windows is ages behind Mac OS.

C

chas_m

I'm coming in late on this, I think I read the whole thread, but forgive me if I've missed something obvious, but:

What I was planning to do (since I'm in the same situation, ie folders within the Application folder) was to simply take the apps OUT of their subfolders, trash the now-empty subfolders (this is all done in the Finder, just to be clear), and THEN launch Launchpad and put stuff into (Launchpad) "folders" like I had them before.

Would that not work?

OP
T
Reaction score
I tried that solution too but the system does not allow me to trash the apps on the subfolders... :-(

Reaction score
try to copy again the app from the main applications folder to your custom folder
and then you will be able to delete the app from your custom folder

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.