Keyboard Shortcuts

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help me. :\ I'm trying to find/create a hashtag shortcut on my keyboard. I have a Macbook Air (bought in the UK) and I have read/heard that the shortcut should be set to alt+3 however when I action this I get taken to my 3rd desktop.

I'm sure this should be simple so step by step instructions on how to create a shortcut of my own would be greatly appreciated. ;D

Angelina

Reaction score
Sounds like you're pressing ctrl-3. Alt is Option.

C

chas_m

The hastag symbol (#) is created with SHIFT-3, not alt-3 or control-3. It's actually printed right there on the key!

OP
F
Reaction score
I've tried all the combinations with shift, alt, cmd etc. When I try shift+3 I get £ because that's the local currency and as I said I purchased the Macbook in the UK. There is most definitely no hashtag symbol printed on the key or any key.

I'm pretty sure that I have this problem because over a year ago I reassigned the keyboard shortcuts but now I don't know how to do this anymore as I have since updated the software and am now running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63) and I can't seem to work my way round system preferences to find where I can create keyboard shortcuts anymore. I wouldn't mind creating a completely new keyboard shortcut for the hashtag but the problem is I don't know where to do this. Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
Well, this is on Mt. Lion but shouldn't be too different...
Open System Preferences, click on Keyboard, click on right tab.
This is where you make shortcuts.

Screenshot_3_27_13_5_34_PM.png

C

chas_m

When I try shift+3 I get £ because that's the local currency and as I said I purchased the Macbook in the UK.

Sorry, you're right I didn't remember that when I wrote my post. I'm sure there IS a hashtag someplace though, as millions of UK Twitter users would be severely handicapped without it!

According to: Where's the hash key on a Mac keyboard?

It is, in fact, option/alt (held down) and the three key normally, but you said you reassigned keyboard shortcuts so that's where the problem truly lies.

You can change or create keyboard shortcuts here: OS X Lion: Create keyboard shortcuts for applications

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.