ADC 30 pin to MDP cable

Reaction score
HELP! I just purchased a 27" iMac and want to use my older 20" Cinema Display from my G5 as a second monitor. The CD has a 30 pin male connector coming off of it, and I need to get that adapted to a Mini Displayport for the iMac.

Apple online tells me that they no longer carry that cable, and the local Apple store has absolutely no clue.

How do I get from the 30 pin (3 rows of 10, a horizontal blade with 4 pins around that) to the MDP? Is there a cable or do I have to Frankenstein something together?

Thanks for any ideas or help you can provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
From the iMac, Mini DVI to DVI, then an Apple DVI/ADC adapter which includes power and USB leads to the display.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9321G/B

Then:-

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M8661B/B

Really is a slow, complicated and old way of doing things and the ADC Studio Displays are a thing of the past, sadly. Be aware if you have to go the way suggested, you will lose some booting options whilst running the 20" display, such as single user mode etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Going from an ADC to mini-display port is going to be tough.

- ADC to VGA...yes.
- ADC to DVI...yes.

...but ADC to mini-display port...that's a tough one...and to be honest...I don't think that cable ever existed (at least I've not seen one).

You may be able to "Frankenstein" a combination of adapters...but you need to remember on VERY important thing...that single ADC cable from your Cinema Display provides both video and power to the monitor...and I pretty seriously doubt that mini-display ports are capable of that.

- Nick

p.s. The adapter that Harry mentioned above that adapts ADC to DVI (and provides power for the display)...costs at least $99 dollars...and probably more now that they are no longer available.

p.p.s. This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00011KHT2/?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
J
Reaction score
So do you recommend I just purchase a nice LCD display for $150 and forget this whole Cinema Display problem?

If the cables are $99 + and I lose some capabilities, it seems foolish for me to be pursuing this route.

Do you guys concur?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So do you recommend I just purchase a nice LCD display for $150 and forget this whole Cinema Display problem?

If the cables are $99 + and I lose some capabilities, it seems foolish for me to be pursuing this route.

Do you guys concur?

[size=+1]Yes[/size]...this is EXACTLY the advice I usually mention to folks thinking about trying to use an old ADC based Apple display with a newer Mac (but then again, some folks are really attached to their old Apple monitors).:) The cost of a modern LCD computer display (new or used) is just more cost effective than trying to continue to use an old ADC based display. Plus the newer LCD displays are so much more advanced then the old Apple ADC display's...especially when it comes to response times.

Great job on your part mentioning this!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
No, the great job is attributed to you guys that responded to my question. In a matter of minutes you responded with your expertise which made the ultimate decision clear.

Thanks to MacForums and those that responded. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And YES again.

I have gone this way jayjoans and really there is no joy using the DVI/ADC adapter, great hulking thing it is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have gone this way jayjoans and really there is no joy using the DVI/ADC adapter, great hulking thing it is.

I got one too Harry...it's a real BEAST/octopus of an adapter with all those wires.;) But I like having it as a "just in case" sort of item.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick I got a cupboard full of them 'just in case' dooverlackies.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick I got a cupboard full of them 'just in case' dooverlackies.

Me too!!!...I have boxes & boxes of that stuff...taking up too much space!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.