Macbook Pro Screen not turning on

Reaction score
I've had my macbook pro since about 2007 and the screen will not turn on any more. When I turn on the computer I can hear that it's on and the sleep light blinks fast.

I've hooked up an external monitor to see if that would work and it does't do anything. So i'm guessing my graphics card is bad... Can anyone help me out

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've had my macbook pro since about 2007 and the screen will not turn on any more. When I turn on the computer I can hear that it's on and the sleep light blinks fast.

I've hooked up an external monitor to see if that would work and it does't do anything. So i'm guessing my graphics card is bad... Can anyone help me out

It could also be that the display's inverter or backlight is bad.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there any way to diagnose it myself?

Not really...other than replacing known good parts for possible bad parts...and see if the known good part solves things.

There may be some sophisticated diagnostic software that professional repair folks may have...but for "DIY" folks...parts swapping is about the only option.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Good guess. If an external monitor won't work, that very likely points to a defective graphics unit in your MBP. What year and model MBP do you have?

Check out this LINK and see if your MBP qualifies for the free repair by Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.