updated XP drivers on a mac mine (2009)

Reaction score
Ok so I have a late 2009 mac mini ($599) model. I've been using windows xp on it without any major issues and I play some games and everything seems to work decently enough.

Now I'm going to have to change the size of the partition and reinstall windows xp using NTFS (been using FAT32 thus far).

What I need help with is that I've decided not to use the stock bootcamp drivers that come with the leopard cd for 2 reasons

1- It installs a bunch of drivers for macbook and other models (?) that are useless for me and just take up space (on a 147G hard drive that was supposed to be 160G every MB counts)

2- With the NVIDIA geforce 9400 driver I get much better perfomance in games using the updated one from the nvidia site than the one from the leopard cd.

what I need help with is identifying stuff like chipsets and sound card etc etc to know how to look for the drivers and then manually installing them.

So I need help compiling this list:

Video card- Geforce driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/noteboo...7.16_whql.html

mac mini Mac OS X (10.6.4)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just checked my Windows 7 installation... The amount of space taken up by drivers is negligible. At the most.. several extra MB of space which is nothing.

Installing the latest nVidia graphics driver is fine and in fact, recommended. But why are you trying to fix something that isn't broken? Do you really need to reformat to NTFS? If you're forced to reformat because you need a larger Windows XP partition (larger than 32 GB) I can understand that. Otherwise NTFS offers no advantage other than the fact it's a journaled file system and can recover from errors better than FAT-32.

You may be opening up problems for yourself by reformatting and reinstalling XP.

If you don't want to use your Leopard DVD to install drivers, just reinstall Windows first. Then go hunting on the net for drivers. Remember that some of your Apple hardware is proprietary which means you'll be forced to use Apple drivers. Which are not available as separate downloads.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
extremely bathroom

A 30G partition is useless if you need to use the system. Also fat can't handle files larger than 4g.

Too bad that the announced 160G hard drive in the mac mini turned out to be 145G.

Looking at the 'device manager' window I don't see much apple made hardware:

Disk driver is a fujitsu MHZ2160BH G1

Display adapter is a nvidia geforce 9400

DVD OPTIARC DVD RW AD

Network adapter NVIDIA nforce 10/100
broadcom 802.11n

there are a bunch of NVIDIA nforce system management controllers and such

but apple hardware 'per se' can't find any

The drivers from bootcamp waste some space and bootcamp itself wastes even more, I don't need bootcamp as I can switch boot partitions with the key.

anyone in this forums know the specific drivers I'm going to require to do this or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Looking at the 'device manager' window I don't see much apple made hardware:

That's because generally Apple does not make it's own hardware. They usually have a custom chipset and sometimes custom components from the mainstream manufacturer.

The drivers from bootcamp waste some space and bootcamp itself wastes even more, I don't need bootcamp as I can switch boot partitions with the key.

anyone in this forums know the specific drivers I'm going to require to do this or not?

If you're that concerned about minuscule about of space that Bootcamp would use in order to correctly use a Mac with Windows, why not just get a larger drive?

Most of the drivers are not going to be publicly available outside of the Bootcamp package.

OP
T
Reaction score
I was able to find updated drivers for everything that I needed from the nforce chipset to realtek audio.

the way bootcamp and bootcamp drivers are designed is complete madness. I have a bunch of folders and drivers installed for stuff the mac mini doesn't have

what's the intel chipset on the mac mini? Why do I have 488934 folders from motorolla difx idt and so forth

tell you why coz they didn't even bother adjusting bootcamp to specific models

"throw every driver at them some are bound to be the correct ones" how stupid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.