DOS mode? How do i get out of it?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a completely new mac user. I have a macbook that i received as a birthday gift. I am having some troubles with it. Overall its really cool. But sometimes i download a program but when i try and run the .exe file to instal it a text file opens with the message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" and a bunch of programing code (i assume) is under it.

I have searched on how i can get out of DOS mode but was unsuccessful in finding results.

Can someone explain to me how i can get out of DOS mode so that i can instal programs? The programs that i have downloaded where mac programs so that isn't the issue. I would appreciate any help you can lend me.
Thanks.

-spike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz 2GB RAM, Aluminum Imac 2GB RAM 500GB HDD, Dell Insprion 5160, 512mb Ram, Windows XP
how did u get in DOS mod in a mac? were u using Terminal? Macs cant read EXE files, there WIndows only. Run windows through emulation, boot camp, or parrallels. DO NOT USE CROSSOVER SINCE IT DOES NOT WORK!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There is no "DOS" or "DOS Mode" on a Mac, unless you are running Windows through Boot Camp, Parallels, or VMWare.

If you are, then you'll have to tell us which one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello,

I am a completely new mac user. I have a macbook that i received as a birthday gift. I am having some troubles with it. Overall its really cool. But sometimes i download a program but when i try and run the .exe file to instal it a text file opens with the message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" and a bunch of programing code (i assume) is under it.

I have searched on how i can get out of DOS mode but was unsuccessful in finding results.

Can someone explain to me how i can get out of DOS mode so that i can instal programs? The programs that i have downloaded where mac programs so that isn't the issue. I would appreciate any help you can lend me.
Thanks.

-spike

Program files that are *.exe or *.msi are Windows executables and will not run in OS X. When you download programs make sure they are for OS X and not another operating system.

OS X does not have a "DOS" mode or an emulated DOS mode. Again, that's Windows. If you want to run Windows programs on your Mac you'll have to either install Windows XP SP2 or Vista by using Boot Camp. Or as an alternative, you can install VMWare Fusion or Parallels and then run a version of Windows in a virtual session from within OS X.

Anyway, don't worry about being in DOS mode - you were never in DOS mode to begin with....:D

OP
S
Reaction score
Program files that are *.exe or *.msi are Windows executables and will not run in OS X. When you download programs make sure they are for OS X and not another operating system.

OS X does not have a "DOS" mode or an emulated DOS mode. Again, that's Windows. If you want to run Windows programs on your Mac you'll have to either install Windows XP SP2 or Vista by using Boot Camp. Or as an alternative, you can install VMWare Fusion or Parallels and then run a version of Windows in a virtual session from within OS X.

Anyway, don't worry about being in DOS mode - you were never in DOS mode to begin with....:D

Ah... alright. Well, that makes me feel better knowing that i wasn't in some kind of weird mode that mucks up my programs.

Thanks for the info.
One last question, tho.

I looked up boot camp and i know how to open it. From what i gather (and im not good with this stuff) all i have to do is get windows on my macbook and i can switch from windows to mac at will. So i wont loss anything that i have on my mac. Am i correct? If so can you tell me how i can get windows xp on my mac? Is it as simple as getting a disk or downloading it from the internet?

Thanks.

- Spike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You would need to follow the bootcamp setup instructions (they're on the apple site) and have a valid XP service pack 2 install CD and license.

Reaction score
Ah... alright. Well, that makes me feel better knowing that i wasn't in some kind of weird mode that mucks up my programs.

Thanks for the info.
One last question, tho.

I looked up boot camp and i know how to open it. From what i gather (and im not good with this stuff) all i have to do is get windows on my macbook and i can switch from windows to mac at will. So i wont loss anything that i have on my mac. Am i correct? If so can you tell me how i can get windows xp on my mac? Is it as simple as getting a disk or downloading it from the internet?

Thanks.

- Spike

Well, I wouldn't recommend downloading it, but if you open BootCamp and allow it to partition your hard drive to a reasonable size (Just FYI, a partition is a section of your hard drive that is set aside, usually for another OS) it will take you through the steps to install Windows if you have a CD of it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Thanks alot. My pc friend actually has the windows xp disc but he knows jack about macs so he didn't know what to do in my case. Im sure I could get the disc from him for a day or two. If not i'll get one off amazon.

Thanks again guys.

-Spike

Reaction score
DOS mode

Hello,

Thanks.

-spike

Hey everyone, I am having this same problem (getting the same error message), but I am not running windows on my mac. I am just trying to install a language workbook cd, which says it is compatible with both PC and Mac. When I open the folder, the setup.exe is there... but of course it won't open because it's on a Mac... so how am I supposed to install it? I'm clearly not in DOS mode, because I can't be, correct? So what the heck! Thanks ahead of time for any help.. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you read the other posts in this thread?

There is no DOS mode on Macs in OSX. EXE files are WINDOWS ONLY. Setup.exe is a Windows executable and will not run on OSX. If that CD says it will run both Windows and Mac, you need to look for the Mac installer if there is one.

How old is this CD? It maybe for older Macs with Pre OSX Mac OS.

Reaction score
I've been having the same trouble. I'm trying to switch my Adobe Photoshop from my PC to my MacBook, but it won't set up because of this DOS mode. I've already deactivated it on my PC & it keeps saying DOS mode on my Mac. Help me out?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you read the rest of this thread? This is a Mac. OSX has nothing to do with Windows. OSX will not run any .EXE file. There is no DOS mode on a Mac.

Only way to run Windows Photoshop on a Mac is install Windows Via Bootcamp, run a virtual machine and install Windows in it, or an Emulator.

You can also get a hold of Adobe and transfer to a Mac version of Adobe.

Reaction score
Root cause analysis

Did you read the rest of this thread? This is a Mac. OSX has nothing to do with Windows. OSX will not run any .EXE file. There is no DOS mode on a Mac.

Only way to run Windows Photoshop on a Mac is install Windows Via Bootcamp, run a virtual machine and install Windows in it, or an Emulator.

You can also get a hold of Adobe and transfer to a Mac version of Adobe.

I was about to post the same question as so far I've not seen an answer. But to be told, "Did you read the rest of this thread?" would clearly give me the hump.
I'm highly PC literate but not Mac-literate. It feels like the response doesn't consider the basis of the question. Us Mac-newbies are clearly experiencing an issue we can't relate to in PC-terms. I've bought and downloaded two games recently; I get the same error. The files are all .exe and assuming mac doesn't do .exe I've got a compatibility problem. The nugget I and perhaps many mac-newbies will be trying to figure out is, why if the games are labeled for mac, don't they work? So, some good advice would help us identify which software is suitable for our state of the art technology. What markings are we looking for. e.g. XP, Vista, 98.. in Mac terms. Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If the games were labelled as Mac compatible, you downloaded the wrong version. Which games did you get?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The rest of the thread explains why EXE files will not run, so my response was very relevant.

If the game you are trying to run is an EXE, it's not a game made for the Mac and OSX.

If there is one, you need a Mac OSX version of the game.

Where did you download these games from? I truly hope the place you got them did not say they were for OSX.

Reaction score
Java enabled?

This may be an issue with your Mac browser not enabling Java. My browser is Safari. Try this (Safari solution). Open Safari. Click on the Safari button at the top left. Then click Preferences. Then click the Security icon. Under "Web Content", make sure that all Java options are enabled. In my case, my computer had unchecked "Enable Java". I just checked the box to enable Java and voila! Problem solved. Just my take.

Reaction score
DOS mode

Could you provide a link to the page where you can download the Windows XP SP2 or Vista, I can't seem to find it :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No one ever said you could "download" Windows XP SP2 or Vista. Those are operating systems sold by Microsoft. Any download would be a pirated version. Check for unused sealed copies on eBay, but make sure you get a genuine copy with a valid product ID.

Take note if you have a 2010 Mac or later, you can not install XP or Vista using Boot Camp. Only Windows 7 and 8 will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like Windows the application matches the operating system under Specifications, such as OS X.4 Tiger, OS X.5 Leopard, OS X.6 Snow Leopard etc. Snow Leopard is the first operating system exclusively for the Intel chip on Macs. Older Mac compatible games are usually PowerPC architecture and will not run on Lion or Mountain Lion OS X.7 and OS X.8 respectively.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.