3D Studio Max On a Mac?

Reaction score
hey guys,
ive done a search first!:dive:

basically i have a blackbook c2d, 2ghz, with 2gb ram and a 200gb hd.

im a lifelong windows user and crossed over this week, so sorry if i get any terms wrong.
im no expert but am fairly i.t competent.

ive got a 25gb vista partition and the rest is osx.
i also have parallels installed with xp mce.

now heres the problem.
i have 3ds max 9 installed on both windows installations.
but heres what it does.

in xp parallels, the viewports show my desktop and not my project!
in vista booctamp, the viewports kinda flash my project, and is pretty much un-usable.

now my question is, how do i get it to work?
ie. different install method maybe? crossovers?

ps- i need 3ds max NOT maya, so please dont try and sway me! lol!

thanks for any help provided guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Reaction score
Actually, Maya is not the only counterpart... it is the only COMMERCIAL counterpart. I know of Blender and PovRay which should work on Mac. (I know Blender does, as I have this installed, but I've never used PovRay)

Just thought I'd point this out. Only reason I've done the 3d program switch is because I'm trying to get more into the open-source world (I do renders on my Linux box), and very far away from the Windows world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Blender is a great app as well. I toy around with DAZ Studio myself (since it is free :black: )
I was only pointing out that the manufacturer of 3dsMax, AutoDesk, makes Maya for the Mac thereby making it AutoDesk's Macintosh counterpart for 3dsMax. I never meant to imply that it is the only alternative.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Technically Autodesk own Maya now but it's mainly been developed by Alias not Discreet or Autodesk. I've used both and Mac or not I much prefer 3ds max to Maya. And, if you're used to using a high-end application like 3ds max you really can't step down to Blender.

Other than gaming, 3D rendering is the one thing I'd still use Windows for, much better choice of applications.

On CGTalk, there were loads of 3ds max on Intel Mac success stories - try posting there, there are loads of experts at hand. You can have your cake and eat it. When Leopard is out I'm going to do my modelling on Boot Camp 3ds max and stick After Burner on my PCs to help out with the rendering.

OP
L
Reaction score
On CGTalk, there were loads of 3ds max on Intel Mac success stories - try posting there, there are loads of experts at hand. You can have your cake and eat it. When Leopard is out I'm going to do my modelling on Boot Camp 3ds max and stick After Burner on my PCs to help out with the rendering.
thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's obvious as to why a rendering program won't work in an emulation program like Parallels. However, the other problem you haven't figured out yet is whether 3D Studio is compatible with Vista yet. If not, that could be the reason as to why it won't work via Boot Camp.

I suggest searching Google for that answer. I'm betting that only way you'll get 3D Studio working on your Macbook is by installing Windows XP/MCE via BootCamp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.