Sleep of Power off?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a student and want to start bringing my macbook pro with me to my classes. I don't know whether I should put it to sleep or turn it off between classes. It will be bouncing around in my bag so I don't know if that could be bad for it while it is sleeping, and also I don't know whether it is a bad idea to keep powering it up and down between classes (probably about 3 or 4 times a day). Please let me know what you think would be better.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
I used to close mine down every night etc, but now i just shut the lid and leave it at that. Puts it to sleep, and when you open it up again everything is right where you left it. If it's going to be in and out of your bag id recommend getting a protective case for it. I just got a soft black neoprene case for £20 from apple and it works great. And dont worry about it getting too hot when inside a case and turned on, there is no way it will overheat in there. So to summarise...i'd just keep it turned on and shut the lid whenever you need to get up and move.

Reaction score
While leaving laptops, in general, in sleep for short trips is fine, I wouldn't recommend to leave it in sleep over night day after day. I believe that the battery becomes weaker with this sort of use. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
is the sleep mode same as the hibernate mode found on Windows?

Usually I do put my pc on hibernate when I have to carry it and as everything is stored on the hard disk, then nothing is running.

Reaction score
While leaving laptops, in general, in sleep for short trips is fine, I wouldn't recommend to leave it in sleep over night day after day. I believe that the battery becomes weaker with this sort of use. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
there's nothing wrong with doing this.

I keep my computer asleep overnight and when I'm moving it around for a couple weeks at a time, then I shut it off for a night just to give it a refresh.

Sleep mode is extremely useful. I see no need to power off unless your computer won't be used for a couple days at a time.

Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with doing this.

I keep my computer asleep overnight and when I'm moving it around for a couple weeks at a time, then I shut it off for a night just to give it a refresh.

Sleep mode is extremely useful. I see no need to power off unless your computer won't be used for a couple days at a time.

I'm speaking purely on the battery's longevity not sleep modes usefulness.

Reaction score
I'm speaking purely on the battery's longevity not sleep modes usefulness.
my battery has 100% health after 350 cycles and 19 months of running it the way I described above, so I don't think it has an effect on longevity.

Seems to me the people who end up with the worst battery life are the ones who are constantly worrying and fussing over it, instead of just using their computers the way they want to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
my battery has 100% health after 350 cycles and 19 months of running it the way I described above, so I don't think it has an effect on longevity.

Seems to me the people who end up with the worst battery life are the ones who are constantly worrying and fussing over it, instead of just using their computers the way they want to.

AMEN.

use and abuse that sucker.Nothing you do is gonna make it last longer, so enjoy it, its paid for!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.