internet and downloads have slowed down

Reaction score
Alright, so every since I updated the software for my Mac the other night my internet and downloads have slowed down, but only by a little bit.

now the REAL problem is that every since about 3AM last night my speed has decreased so much that its moving at dialup. I mean literally. I have Broadband, and its suppose to be a high speed, and go a certain speed.

So I go to speedtest, and they tell me my recommended server is in Kansas, ***? I live in Alabama, and speedtest has always told me my recommended server was Atlanta, and now its saying Kansas which is hundreds of miles away. I'm sure this has something to do with why my speeds are incredibly slow.

There's nothing wrong with my firewall, and I'm running Repair Permissions now. I'm trying to contact my ISP as well. Can anyone tell me what could possibly be the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's nothing wrong with my firewall, and I'm running Repair Permissions now. I'm trying to contact my ISP as well. Can anyone tell me what could possibly be the problem?

Post back after contacting your ISP and if trouble-shooting with them doesn't help.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry for placing it in the wrong section, but I called my ISP, and they definitely said something was wrong with my speed. They filled out some kind of form, and said if they didn't get back to me today then they would tomorrow.

Here is how my speed use to be:
1168875720.png

Now since last night it's been going like this:
543205348.png

And here is a summary of my current and past speeds:
2mfyb2c.png

Now as you can see it drastically dropped on the 18th for whatever reason. There is a 5 GIG limit on my account, and they said if I go over it my speed will be cut in half, but even you cut my speed in half it still isn't suppose to be as low as what 8/18 is saying.

Hopefully they will call and come to my house since they said they might do that, but if any of you may know something please let me know.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Definitely an ISP issue. Is that cable or DSL? If the former, add any new TVs or splitters in your home?

If the latter, hook up any new telephones to your home? Do they have filters on the phone lines?

OP
D
Reaction score
Definitely an ISP issue. Is that cable or DSL? If the former, add any new TVs or splitters in your home?

If the latter, hook up any new telephones to your home? Do they have filters on the phone lines?

It's Cricket Broadband actually

And no we don't use any filters in my house, but my grandparents do use it for their DSL down their house. As far as I know nothing has changed in the area.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's Cricket Broadband actually

And no we don't use any filters in my house, but my grandparents do use it for their DSL down their house. As far as I know nothing has changed in the area.

The brand name bears no relevance, what I'm after is what kind of line pipes it into your home. And if no line, is it wireless?

OP
D
Reaction score
The brand name bears no relevance, what I'm after is what kind of line pipes it into your home. And if no line, is it wireless?

I'm not understanding. It's just a little usb plug-like cable that I plug into the back of my Mac. There are no lines or whatever as far as I understand, and it's wireless.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not understanding. It's just a little usb plug-like cable that I plug into the back of my Mac. There are no lines or whatever as far as I understand, and it's wireless.

What does the other end of the USB cable plug into? A little box? And if so, does anything come from the wall into that box?

OP
D
Reaction score
What does the other end of the USB cable plug into? A little box? And if so, does anything come from the wall into that box?

It plugs into this:

Cricket-Wireless-A600-USB-Modem.jpg

And there's a USB cord that connects that to my MAC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aha! It's cellular-based. That can be flakey and inconsistent based on the signal you're getting (sort of like when a cell phone cuts out or gets garbled). Maximum connection speeds are typically a fraction of what you would get through a landline-based connection, so this is not surprising at all.

You're probably not hitting the same tower you normally do, and that's why it's showing the closest location as Kansas.

OP
D
Reaction score
Aha! It's cellular-based. That can be flakey and inconsistent based on the signal you're getting (sort of like when a cell phone cuts out or gets garbled). Maximum connection speeds are typically a fraction of what you would get through a landline-based connection, so this is not surprising at all.

You're probably not hitting the same tower you normally do, and that's why it's showing the closest location as Kansas.

Oh thank you then. Do you know what I could do about it? I'll bring that up with my ISP.

OP
D
Reaction score
They still haven't contact me back, and my internet/speeds are still running extremely slow.

I don't know what to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
How is the signal on the modem itself? I use Cricket as well, and I find that I have to keep my modem in a certain place in the house or it gets lousy signal or bad speeds.

OP
D
Reaction score
How is the signal on the modem itself? I use Cricket as well, and I find that I have to keep my modem in a certain place in the house or it gets lousy signal or bad speeds.

Well all 4 bars are lit up, and its pretty much been in the same place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
You have much better signal in your area then lol.

Mine slowed down some the other day as well. Not near as much as yours, but it was enough to be annoying. I have two lines actually, one for me and one for my mom, they both slowed down. It's possible they have a network issue right now.

OP
D
Reaction score
You have much better signal in your area then lol.

Mine slowed down some the other day as well. Not near as much as yours, but it was enough to be annoying. I have two lines actually, one for me and one for my mom, they both slowed down. It's possible they have a network issue right now.

I'm thinking there must be some kind of problem going on over on their end. Well, thanks to everyone for their input. I will let you guys what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
I'm going to run my current problem in this thread since it is related and will probably end up providing info for a small group of people.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I also use Cricket for internet.

My connection has been slowing down to the point where I now wait and wait and wait for a webpage to load. I just ran a speedtest and I currently only have 100k down while i have almost 400k up.

I just got off the phone with Cricket, and they said that that is a firewall type issue, and is beyond their scope.

Right now, with firewall on or off, my speeds are redicoulously (I still can't spell that word) slow.

Any ideas? I need to figure this out quickly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could be a DNS problem. Cricket should be aware of that but I'll bet since you're using a Mac, they're probably stumped.

Try switching to OpenDNS. All info for switching is here.

If you need help changing DNS settings on your Mac and or the router, post back and I or someone else will help you.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.