Hard drive, I know you a lot of these....

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I know you get a lot of these questions, although mine might be unique..
In a month I'll be moving overseas and my Macbook Pro (3,1) will become my primary computer. I have already decided to upgrade my 2GB RAM to 4GB but would now like to upgrade my hard drive.
Performance is important but not so important as silent running or excessive heat.
The Momentus XT interested me, but once I saw vibration and noise issues it turned me off. Some of the Hitachi's look good but when it comes to models, it all turns to a blur.
Can anyone help suggest a quiet, quick, cool hard drive?
Capacity should be at least 500GB and budget is up to £100
Look forward to replies

Cheers
Jack

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a Hitachi 7K500 that replaced a Western Digital 320GB 7200rpm (too noisy, too much vibration), which replaced a Seagate 320GB 7200rpm (too slow). The Hitachi is practically silent, pretty fast and runs cool. I'd highly recommend it. I know it runs less than $100 (US), so it should be well within your budget.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have a Hitachi 7K500 that replaced a Western Digital 320GB 7200rpm (too noisy, too much vibration), which replaced a Seagate 320GB 7200rpm (too slow). The Hitachi is practically silent, pretty fast and runs cool. I'd highly recommend it. I know it runs less than $100 (US), so it should be well within your budget.

Hi there,
thanks for the reply, are you referring to the Hitachi 7K500 Travelstar? Was it much of a performance increase from the stock Hard Drive? The numbers tell me there's a big difference.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi there,
thanks for the reply, are you referring to the Hitachi 7K500 Travelstar? Was it much of a performance increase from the stock Hard Drive? The numbers tell me there's a big difference.

Yes, it's the Travelstar 7K500, and yes, the performance improvement is noticeable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.