Iphone 4 and IOS 7.1.1- Lag?

Reaction score
Hi,

My brother has a Iphone 4 and he said that ever since updating to 7.1.1 his phone slightly lags (e.g. when swiping, opening apps). Is this true? Has anyone else who owns the iPhone 4 experienced this?

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!

But dam, just 3 years and a phone becomes laggy because of a new IOS. Imagine 5 or 6 years, probably cannot use it to surf most of the sites.

Do you know if it's still possible to surf the web with the iTouch 1st generation?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I still have my iPod Touch 1st Gen. It surfs the Web But it's slow! Mobile browsers have come a LONG way since the first IOS and first Touch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You should try a first generation iPhone, have got one knocking about. Pretty much all the use you can get from it now is sending texts and making/ receiving calls.
It's only been 7 years since the first iPhone and that was incredible at the time even without the app store back then.
As dtravis says, things have moved forward at an exceptional rate.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I have my first generation iPod Touch connected to a little FM transmitter and I run the TuneIn app to broadcast streaming audio through my house. Still works like a charm.

C

chas_m

It's not like Apple radically revamps iOS every year or anything. We're likely now in a plateau phase for a bit, I should think.

OP
S
Reaction score
From one perspective- The rate at which phones will become obsolete is slowed down from it's exponential rate. It initially grew at an exponential rate due to it's infancy in the market.

However, from a business perspective- It is a very competitive mobile phone market, every company wants to innovate ahead of the trend. Therefore, from this ideology, phones will quickly become obsolete.

It's a question of which perspective will become a reality.

OP
S
Reaction score
You should try a first generation iPhone, have got one knocking about. Pretty much all the use you can get from it now is sending texts and making/ receiving calls.
It's only been 7 years since the first iPhone and that was incredible at the time even without the app store back then.
As dtravis says, things have moved forward at an exceptional rate.

- Simon

Are you being reasonably serious about that statement? You cannot do anything besides texting? Cannot search many websites at all with the iPhone 1st Gen?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thanks for the tips!

But dam, just 3 years and a phone becomes laggy because of a new IOS. Imagine 5 or 6 years, probably cannot use it to surf most of the sites.

Do you know if it's still possible to surf the web with the iTouch 1st generation?

The first generation iOS devices are stuck with iOS 5 as the highest version and they work fine. iOS 7 is the last version that iPhone 4 will be able to run and it will stuck on that forever..

Newer versions of iOS will likely require iPhone 4S or 5 as the minimum..

So regardless of how far ahead iOS goes, certain generation of devices will be stuck with the versions that makes sense on them and they will continue to function without any problems..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Considering that most mobile contracts top out at 3 years, this isn't really much of a issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most US carriers are now moving away from contracts. But of course if they provide a subsidy for the device, they're going to want you to hang around for awhile. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.