BIG HELP ! The New Cat Has Trashed my mac

Reaction score
Please please help,
I have just upgraded (???) my OS10.4 to 10.5 when the system loads, finder cant be started !!!! i can use apps but not finder which is a bit of a big issue also i have noticed in accounts my account which was an admin is now a bog standard user, i have tried running disk permissions but it seems to hang doing nothing.

Basicaly I have a useless OS that I cant access files or even try to repair.

I'm guessing that i will have to build from scratch but how do i do that as when i put the OSx disk in the drive i dont have a disk to click on to start the new installaion.

I have tried downloading the 10.5.1 update via the web (update dosent work either) and that just hangs so cant be installed.

All help very appreciated.... which i had stayed with the old faithfull cat now :Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I would suggest is boot from the 10.5 DVD by holding down C after the startup sound. When you get to the installer and pick your hard drive, set the advanced options to Archive and Install. Let it install. You will loose nothing but it will replace OSX completely. That should fix your issue.

Did you do a plain Upgrade when you installed 10.5?

I have it on 5 systems here and have had not one issue.

There will be a backup of the old system in a folder called Previous System. When everything is working right after the install and you be sure all your files are there, you can zap that folder and get back some Hard Drive space.

Also what Mac is this you installed 10.5 on?

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks dtravis7.
I'll give that a go tonight.

Did you do a plain Upgrade when you installed 10.5?
yeah i just did the standard upgrade, normaly i would install from clean (still in the habbit from my m$ days)

Also what Mac is this you installed 10.5 on?
This is on an imac G5 1.8ghz 20", 2gb Ram.

OP
E
Reaction score
Just had a thought if i do an Archive and install wont i still end up with a non admin account, which is not what I had before the origianal installation.
And therfore have no system admin for my mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.