WEIRD! Parentheses turn into alien heads when copy/pasting from scientific articles

Reaction score
This is a problem I have found when trying to copy and paste text from a PDF (usually a scientific article) into a plain text editor like TextEdit or Notational Velocity.

This picture sort of speaks for itself.
2011-10-18025300pm.png

Now this doesn't happen all the time with all PDFs, but when it does I notice a few patterns. For example....

2011-10-18030120pm.png

Intriguing! Can anyone help me solve this puzzle?

2011-10-18070341pm.png

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Obviously you've broken the code, and now THEY will be coming for you! ;)

Funny and strange . . . thanks for sharing.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I was going to help - but then made the mistake of reading part of the source article...and only just now woke back up. :p

I didn't look hard - but only found one similarly described problem Adobe: Acrobat - Adobe Acrobat Pro Can't Copy and Paste? Maybe that guy can tell you what he found?

It must be an encoding issue of some kind.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where is Scully and Mulder when you need them? ;P

OP
L
Reaction score
I was going to help - but then made the mistake of reading part of the source article...and only just now woke back up. :p

I think part of my immense drive to get to the bottom of this aliens issue must come from wanting to do ANYTHING I can to procrastinate reading more of these papers.

"Whoops, I was going to be productive today but I can't. Aliens."

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting!

The aliens appear to have gotten wise to this thread, as my reply now is now the first post. Anyone who reads this will wonder what we are talking about.

OP
L
Reaction score
Interesting!

The aliens appear to have gotten wise to this thread, as my reply now is now the first post. Anyone who reads this will wonder what we are talking about.

It looks like its on the bottom to me--maybe it fixed itself.

Yesterday afternoon I edited the post and put the enlarged alien head picture on it. My entire post promptly vanished, along with the buttons that would have allowed me to edit it.

Today it is back, so I guess They must have just borrowed it temporarily for some routine probing.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it looks like its on the bottom to me--maybe it fixed itself.

Yesterday afternoon i edited the post and put the enlarged alien head picture on it. My entire post promptly vanished, along with the buttons that would have allowed me to edit it.

Today it is back, so i guess they must have just borrowed it temporarily for some routine probing.

lol :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
No clue what the heck is up, but I sure want to try it on my own system...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.