Desktop shortcuts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I'm looking for a way to make shortcuts on the Desktop to folders such as Applications, Pictures, Movies, etc. Is there a way to do this? When I tried copy/paste it just attempted to duplicate all the contents of the folders, which I obviously don't want. There is no 'make alias' option in the menu when you right-click on these folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 " iMac Core2Duo, 2GHz Processor, 1 Gig of RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.3
Just drag and drop the folders right next to where the trash can is located.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Just drag and drop the folders right next to where the trash can is located.

Well actually, thats a dock icon. However, I find those better than actual desktop shortcuts. Im at work and dont have my Mac with me, so I wont be able to play around and figure out how (because I KNOW Its possible).

Reaction score
i dont think you can make shortcuts but you can put the actual file there on your desktop. by dragging it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Drag the folder to the Desktop with option+command pressed - that will create a shortcut. You can tell when it'll create a shortcut by the little curved black arrow. If you get a green + symbol then it'll copy.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Drag the folder to the Desktop with option+command pressed - that will create a shortcut. You can tell when it'll create a shortcut by the little curved black arrow. If you get a green + symbol then it'll copy.

Thanks!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
In OS X shortcuts are called aliases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.