Flash.....

Reaction score
The Ipad is a fantastic tool and I love it. However, like in any love story, there are always some nagging issues that might lead to brutally ending it..

One is not being able to access flash content. I have read the communication by Mr Steve Jobs in this respect but, basically, what he says is "we do not care", which looks to me as an insult to web users who crawl over so many flash based websites. But maybe it is Apple's policy to cast a despising look over what is not Apple branded. Speak of proprietary issues!!!

Finally, Mr Jobs refers to a recent past when Apple and Adobe were business partners and were entertaining a shareholding relationship. Since Apple is now sitting on a gigantic pile of cash, I would suggest them to make some use of it and, for instance, take over Adobe....

That might contribute to a better world where approximately 50% of the existing websites are not off-limits.

C

chas_m

I have read the communication by Mr Steve Jobs in this respect but, basically, what he says is "we do not care",

I suggest you re-read it. The essay's very existence contradicts your conclusion, and of course the essay itself says nothing of the sort.

What it DOES say is "if Adobe ever came up with an efficient version of Flash that didn't kill battery life and clog processors, we would certainly like to look at it. Problem is, ten years later, they never have."

This is true and continues to be true. The public shaming actually seems to have driven Adobe, after some chest-beating, to knuckle down and try to produce EXACTLY THAT, since the entire mobile market is figuring out that it doesn't need Adobe as much as Adobe needs them.

which looks to me as an insult to web users who crawl over so many flash based websites.

Well, again, you start from the wrong conclusion and then leap cheerfully into fantasy-land. I've not yet run across any truly USEFUL web sites that stop me from accessing them on an iPad, but perhaps what you consider "useful" is different.

The rest of your post is just cranky trollery not worth responding to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I would like to ask you what website you need uses and needs flash to operate?

I own an Android phone that runs full flash and I can say that flash sucks. Almost nothing really works with the touch screen because it was designed for a cursor/mouse.

On my phone, flash makes my phone lag a little bit and it is running a similar 1 GHz processor.

I can see where you're coming from, but flash really sucks on touch screens.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The Ipad is a fantastic tool and I love it. However, like in any love story, there are always some nagging issues that might lead to brutally ending it..
People said that about the iPhone and how'd that work out?

One is not being able to access flash content. I have read the communication by Mr Steve Jobs in this respect but, basically, what he says is "we do not care", which looks to me as an insult to web users who crawl over so many flash based websites.
Your making an assumption about the pervasiveness of Flash on websites. Many websites do not use Flash and if they do, a good majority of them use it for ads. On top of this, many sites where Flash is "required" (YouTube as a prime example) offer alternatives. For instance, I haven't watched a video in Flash on YouTube in quite some time. I use Opera as my web browser and therefore get the WebM version of YouTube videos. That takes care of most of my Flash needs.

That might contribute to a better world where approximately 50% of the existing websites are not off-limits.
50%? That number is way too high. There is no way that 50% of websites require you to use Flash to view content. If it did, people wouldn't use FlashBlock or other Flash blockers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.