I can't burn a DVD with Burn? (MacBook Pro)

Reaction score
Hello
I always use Burn, and never faced a problem with it. but i faced a problem and i can't figure why i can't let it me burn a dvd!!!! i insert the DVD, drug the files, and burn, but in doesn't burn, it eject my DVD right away saying "the DVD can't be burned; it might be incompatible with this disk drive. Please try a different brand of disc, or try burning at a slower speed".
okay okay, i burned a DVD before and it was from the same package and everything went alright.
i wonder why it say "try another brand?" and it worked with my sister who use windows.
and about speed, i tried with slower speed, but nothing changed. T___T. can someone help me? i'll be very grateful!!!!

some shots:
Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 3.01.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 3.02.30 AM.png

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Dear yozora, as with all posts we require a LOT more information in order to be of any help. Eg;
Your device eg mbp 13"
Year
Operating System
Disk burner. Internal or external
Disk type an brand
Source of files to be burned.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I use MacBook Pro OS X El Capitan 13'' ver 10.11.1
it's internal.
Disk type is: DVD+R, the Brand is: imation.
the source from a folder in my desktop (?) i tried also from a USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try burning a DVD-R disc and see how you go.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Is the source a commercial production? Does it have DRM protection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Please try a different brand of disc, or try burning at a slower speed

So… did you try burning at a lower speed?

You screen shot is showing it's set for Maximum Possible speed, 8X, which is not exactly a recommended "slower" burning speed. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Patrick:

Read his first post. He said he tried a slower speed. Also, it's a good possibility that his optical drive is either dirty or even failing. He said that his MacBook Pro had an internal optical drive and that would mean that the latest model it could be would be a 2012 or earlier.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@yozora,

I'm loath to advise people to spend more money; but in your case, with at least a 5-year old model, I'd suggest that you didn't waste time on trying to clean or otherwise sort out your internal optical drive.

Instead, spend $25-35 max, on a new standalone USB-powered optical drive. Amazon, for one, has a large selection. I use a Samsung.

NB. Don't go for Apple's Super Drive - not only is it overpriced, it won't work with any Mac which shipped with its own internal optical drive; as yours did.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick:

Read his first post. He said he tried a slower speed. Also, it's a good possibility that his optical drive is either dirty or even failing. He said that his MacBook Pro had an internal optical drive and that would mean that the latest model it could be would be a 2012 or earlier.

Yes, I saw that thanks Charlie, but no mention of how much slower he tried.

Even the maximum rated sped may be too much, but easy enough to check with directions here:
Mac 101: How to check the speed of your CD/DVD burner
https://www.engadget.com/2009/08/10/mac-101-how-to-check-the-speed-of-your-cd-dvd-burner/

Regardless of speed, your comments are sure valid that "his optical drive is either dirty or even failing".

A good Mac compatible disk cleaner and some good shots of cleaning air with the tube stuck in the optical slot and swiveled and pointed left to right while blasting some good shots can often clean up any dust etc.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Y
Reaction score
@yozora,

I'm loath to advise people to spend more money; but in your case, with at least a 5-year old model, I'd suggest that you didn't waste time on trying to clean or otherwise sort out your internal optical drive.

Instead, spend $25-35 max, on a new standalone USB-powered optical drive. Amazon, for one, has a large selection. I use a Samsung.

NB. Don't go for Apple's Super Drive - not only is it overpriced, it won't work with any Mac which shipped with its own internal optical drive; as yours did.

Ian

thank you, but i'd like to keep this as the last solution^^

OP
Y
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i use Burn for burning and, usually it burn by x8 and success. now it fail, even by the lower speed x4.
but i followed your instruction. and here is the dvd info

Does the drive have any problem reading any CD or DVD??

If not, or even if it does, I'd suggest a good cleaning with a cleaning disk and compressed cleaning gas may fix the problem. Not a big expense to try and readily available.

Also, your Optical drive says "(Generic Drive Support)" which can be an indication that it was a replacement at some point, but that shouldn't affect its performance in any way at all.

It may be ejecting the disk right away because it can't read the code properly, but it must be doing so to provide the write speed etc. of the inserted disk you posted.

- Patrick
======

OP
Y
Reaction score

If not, or even if it does, I'd suggest a good cleaning with a cleaning disk and compressed cleaning gas may fix the problem. Not a big expense to try and readily available.

Also, your Optical drive says "(Generic Drive Support)" which can be an indication that it was a replacement at some point, but that shouldn't affect its performance in any way at all.

It may be ejecting the disk right away because it can't read the code properly, but it must be doing so to provide the write speed etc. of the inserted disk you posted.

- Patrick
======

i tried to insert a burned DVD and it worked well.
i'll try with the cleaning disk and answer you later. thank you so much. ^^

OP
Y
Reaction score

- Patrick
======
i tried with the gas cleaner and it FINALLY MAGICALLY worked!!!
thank you so much, Patrick. and thanks to EVERYONE who tried to help me here in this thread.
i really appreciate!!!! thank you so much everyone ^^.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried with the gas cleaner and it FINALLY MAGICALLY worked!!!
thank you so much, Patrick.

Yea…!!! clap.gif

Glad to hear that it worked, and actually, there's no real magic involved. ;)

BTW: Did you not use a proper disk cleaner??

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Remember guys, just because it's a mid 2012 MBP, doesn't necessarily mean it's 5 years old. That model was on sale upto October of last year. Mine is just over 2 years old.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remember guys, just because it's a mid 2012 MBP, doesn't necessarily mean it's 5 years old. That model was on sale upto October of last year. Mine is just over 2 years old.

Good point. We should probably ask an OP when he/she purchased their Mid 2012 MBP rather than assuming it's 5 years old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.