Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 i5 4GB RAM
I just got a late-2011 MBP that I am in love with. I have a black menubar that blends seamlessly with the trim of my MBP, but the silver application windows and white pull down menus don't look right to me. How can I make these black?

Also, I want widgets on my desktop. I tried pulling them from my dashboard, but then they like to stay on top of everything and block my views of other apps. Is there software I can use to put widgets on my desktop and nowhere else?

Thank you in advance,
Blake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just got a late-2011 MBP that I am in love with. I have a black menubar that blends seamlessly with the trim of my MBP, but the silver application windows and white pull down menus don't look right to me. How can I make these black?

How do you have a black menubar? Did you apply a theme? There is no simple way to change the graphical elements like that. You can peruse the forums on MacThemes.net to see what people are doing. There are no skinning applications at the moment that I am aware of, and applying themes involves directly replacing elements that are core to the OS, which is VERY RISKY if great care is not taken. The MacThemes community has a lot of self-installing themes available for download, however you do have to take care to make sure you are applying one suitable to your version of OS X, and have a backup plan in place in case something goes awry.
MacThemes Forum

Also, I want widgets on my desktop. I tried pulling them from my dashboard, but then they like to stay on top of everything and block my views of other apps. Is there software I can use to put widgets on my desktop and nowhere else?

There are a few options. You can enable the developer mode in Dashboard:
How to put Dashboard wigets on the Desktop in MacOSX | Windows - Linux - Mac OSX Guides

Use Amnesty Widget Browser:
Amnesty™ Widget Browser

Convert the widget into an app:
Amnesty™ Singles

You could also look into GeekTool (the Lion version is on the Mac App Store) along with geeklets others have already made, or those of your own design. There is a bit of a learning curve with this, but once you figure it out, it is exceptionally awesome.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 i5 4GB RAM
I am using a theme for my menubar. It just looks so good :) Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.